Squamous cell treatment

• 16 replies
  • 9 subscribers
  1.  Hi all, I had a fast growing Squamous on my nose. After the MOHS on 08-24 most of the left side of the nose and part of the cheek were gone. On 08-26 the plastic surgeon started the reconstruction of my nose. Damn, I was not prepared for the extent of the surgery! A five hour surgery with the forehead flap and all. A lot of pain and the left side of my scalp is still numb. Had the flap removed last week and was told two  months before he will start to reshape my nose. Two months with a big clown nose! I have two c-t scans next week and possible radiation therapy to follow. This has me worried and a little depressed. My employer is treating me very well though this and with my Medicare there is no problem with cost and I'm grateful for that. 
  2.   This is a long journey and  had to be treated as an emergency. The anesthesia has left me in state of jet lag like fatigue...
  • How big was the lump, Terry? I hope that your scans will be clean and you will not need any additional treatment. BTW did they advise you to take this thing https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/nicotinamide? 
    if you decide to take it, ask your doctor first, of course. I had four skin cancer removed (three SSC and one BCC). Now, as I mentioned at least one reoccurred. So my dermatologist suggested me to start on Nicotinamide.

• Hi Br44,  It was big maybe 3/8 of an inch at least. It grew fast! I tried c.b.d oil after the first surgery six weeks ago but couldn't really tell much of a difference. I have had a constant headache since the surgery that my doc said could be from nerves that were cut in my scalp. The Neurontin he prescribed last week is doing some good and that is a relief. I'm glad we have this forum...

• Hi Terry, 

How was the scan? How the headaches? 

•  Hi and sorry for the late reply. I met with the radiation oncologist and he scheduled me for a fitting for the mask/headgear and a.baseline m.r.i which was on Tuesday. Waiting on a call now to start four weeks of radiation treatments. The mask is very tight and moulded to your face and attaches to the table. Super uncomfortable and a little claustrophobic! The cancer center made me feel welcome and there is a  café with really good free coffee. Still having the headaches and that is really getting old. Staying busy with little projects is helping a lot...

• Sorry Terry. I hope you will feel better soon. I do not understand why do you need radiation? Were they unable to remove all cancer?

•   They are concerned that it may have gotten into the nerves.