Scans

• 13 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hi again. Where do I start this one . Well as some of you know my husband  who has got prostrate cancer and Alzimers ..had another psa test in September , it was 210,  previous one in April was 126 . So he was sent for a full body scan and bone scan at ….., hospital. It was a miracle we got him there due to his fear of hospitals etc . Unfortunately the experience was a disaster , he had the dye injection and that was fine . But when he went in for the scan I’m afraid the technician was very abrupt and had no patience with him at all . He was very calm and relaxed when he went in . She came out and said He became restless and started to breath heavily and  then she said That’s it I’ve tried he won’t do as I say . I asked if she  could do it again and I’ll sit with him …but no. One week later he was sent to Stafford hospital again… he was calm . And this time he was relaxed and had the scan . the technician was amazing with him,  and invited me to sit in the room while he had it . She kept him calm and talking to him keeping him  relaxed, 

, I hate to complain about our amazing NHS and in all my 80 years I’ve done nothing but sing there praises .BUT … I’m hoping any future scans he needs  will be at Stafford hospital. I’m now waiting for the results . 

• Hello Gina ( 

Like you I have nothing but praise for the NHS but just sometimes things don't go to plan and after all we are all human. I am not making excuses but there can be a multitude of reasons for that one member of staff having an "off" day.

I am pleased you managed to get him sorted the following week - that's progress. At least with the results of the scan you will know just what is going on. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Good morning  . You must have used all your skills to get Eddie to the appointment let alone into the scanner so well done. Where we go there are two brilliant radiographers and one 'old woman' who always gets my husband agitated and I see his face drop when he finds the awkward one on duty (but to be fair he did seem to have had a personality transplant last time). I hope you don't have too long to wait for results but let us know when you get them. All the best.

• Forgive my rant Millibob. Last night was a really tough night and I think I just needed to let off a bit of steam . Ofcourse everyone had a bad day .. but at the time I thought it was a bit more than that . I will indeed keep you posted on the results. 

• Hello Gina ()

Forgive my rant Millibob

It's no problem. If life were simple and straightforward it would be great.

We are here for you, better to rant and rave here than at the hospital. Don't worry, no offence taken. I thought seeing the time you posted you might be having a bad night.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• It was a bad night Brian . He got me up at 3 am to search the house for his bank book . When I went into his room all his clothes etc were on the floor and papers everywhere . Sadly he was quite  verbal and he wouldn’t let me help , saying just tell what you’ve done with it etc . Or words to that Effect. .. I actually gave up at 6am and I could still hear him at 7/30 . This morning NOTHING was wrong . So I was just tired . Something Ive got  to get used to I suppose. 

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read that - I can understand how his behaviour can be both unreasonable and very upsetting.  As I said before feel free to vent here rather than at him - it should make life a little easier.

Don't forget there's our support line and it's for anyone affected by cancer, feel free to ring them for some support on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• hi Brian ,  I thought i’d give you an update on my husband ,

my daughter and i spoke to my husbands consultant regarding the  last scan results , the cancer has spread to his bones , spinal cord compression ( i dont understand that ) also shoulder, pelvic  and kidney , After a long chat The consultant said he would arrange for the Macmillan team to come and meet with us at my daughters home and discuss palliative care . we also agreed that there was no point in discussing it further with my husband due to his alzheimer’s.  He also said there was no point in further scans or psa tests as it only caused him distress , Needless to say This has been rather a shock , and i’m thinking how ami going to cope , regards Gena 

• Hello Gena ()

I am so sorry to read about Eddie and his condition - but I am so pleased to see that the Consultant is arranging for the Macmillan Team to come out and see you.

From reading your posts and the information you have given to us it sounds as if Eddie's alzheimer's is worse than the effects of the Prostate cancer, however I am sure the Macmillan team will be able to help.

"Palliative Care" in this case isn't end of life care - it's making the best of the situation Eddie finds himself in and the team will do their best to look after you both. In the mean while if you do have any worries, please come back on here or contact the support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week).

Here's a link about Spinal chord Compression from the Hospital trust treating me which will give you the information you have asked for

https://www.christie.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/services/metastatic-spinal-cord-compression-mscc/information-for-mscc-patients/spinal-cord-compression-what-it-means-and-how-it-can-be-treated

We are all here for you - any time - it' OUR Community and YOU are an important member.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Good morning Brian , i am grateful for the support  so far on this journey ,and the information on spinal  cord compression . regards and best wishes Gena7