Hello

• 13 replies
  • 166 subscribers

I have just joined this group.

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018.  he had a prostatectomy,

Gleason score 7. he was told the cancer had spread to one nerve so that was removed.

lymph nodes were clear.

He couldn't have radiotherapy due to ongoing isssues with colitis/proctitis. although a colonoscopy in 2022 showed he was in remission with this and his bowel was healthy. so he was taken off his medication.

he was having 6 monthly PSA readings and September 2023 just at the 5 year time he was told his PSA which had been  0.1  was now 0.18.

He had that repeated 6 mths after and it was 0.24, then 6 mths after that had dropped to 0.20.

His Oncology consultant sent him for a PMSA PET scan which shows a 1 to 2 mm area of suspected cancer cells where his prostate was.

He has had an MRI scan to look more closely at proximation to his lower bowel with a view to having targeted radiation. No result yet from this scan.

He is very well. has no new symptoms. His Oncologist in fact said this would not have any issues for many years.

so here lies my question.

Oncologist saying book a holiday as results won't be for another 3 weeks.

We went to a travel agents looking at Spain, she advised us to contact our travel insurance Avanti, to update them.

I told them he had an MRI scan but no result yet, told them why he was sent for one, and they have cancelled our policy.

The travel agents suggested we try one they use, Alliance, and they said until he has the result, they will not cover him., 

Does anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance who they have used.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Hope everyone is okay and getting support from this great forum.

• Hi Adele, welcome to our community, I’m sorry you’ve had to find your way here though.

I had my op on July 5th but immediately prior to that I went away for a week, my original insurer (Admiral) dropped me like a hot potato, but after a few calls I ended going with Allclear, it was a little expensive at £165 for just 8 nights one off holiday but then after my op I went away again and bought annual platinum insurance for just £58 from them too.

I also believe there is a thread on this site somewhere with regards to holiday insurance advice but someone else may be able to help you find it that knows where to look for it.

Best wishes

John

• HI John

thank you for your reply. i will try them. it is all so cruel,as if having cancer isn't enough! all he needed to hear. the ironic thing is he completed a 26 mile walk for charity two weeks ago!

I really hope you are okay.best wishes and thanks.

• Hello Adele ()

A warm welcome from me to the Macmillan Online Prostate Community.

You have already had a link to the Travel Insurance forum but here's another one for you to use:-

Travel insurance forum for cancer patients 

As we are only allowed to recommend products or services we have used personally I can recommend the Company we use and this is insurancewith.

A little bit of advice is that all the Insurance Companies use the same algorithms to quote when you fill in the online forms - to save time, contact the Companies by telephone and advise them of your individual circumstances, you will get a decent quote and save time!

Enjoy your holiday Sunglasses.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Apologies for the typing errors, I am not the best!

• Hello Adele - I can identify with this.  We went to All Clear who were happy to quote for existing conditions and exclude non-diagnosed conditions e.g. the MRI scan result as you don't know it.

I hope you find them helpful - we certainly did.

• Hi Millibob.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will gladly look into this.

I hope you are well. Worst scenario, the UK here we come! 

• Hi Rosie.

Thank you for your reply.

I will be doing my homework tomorrow.

I hope you and your partner is well.

• Hello  

I am great thank you, just 33 months into a 36 month Hormone Therapy/Radiotherapy journey so yes - everything looks good!!

We have a place in Turkey and as it's in Asia we need world wide travel insurance!!! so that bumps up the price for us.

Keep us posted as to how the holiday and in due course the radiotherapy goes.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi everyone.

We have insurance with All Clear.

Many Thanks.

Adele