Low Psa. Is this unusual?

• 13 replies
  • 159 subscribers

Diagnosed two years ago after physical exam by my GP after I experiences poor urine flow and incomplete bladder emptying. PSA was normal 1.4 so came as a bit of a shock, I thought I had an enlarged prostate.

Biopsy recorded prostate cancer Gleason 6. After MRI scan I was sent for trans perineal biopsy under general anaesthetic (template)

cancer upgraded to Gleason 3+4.

i am currently on active surveillance PSA every 6 months, MRI yearly.

My PSA has risen slowly over the two years and is now 2.7. I have a MRI in a few months.

compared to others in this forum I consider myself lucky the cancer was identified early.

As my PSA is not a good identifier of the cancer, being so low for my age at 75. Are yearly MRI scans frequent enough to check on progress of the cancer or am I  overthinking things?

• Hi David. They cancelled it 1 hour before. Had me in for wrong procedure. I spent most of the night worrying only for it to be cancelled! They was supposed to be calling me back after 10 yesterday but didn’t so I’ve got to call them today. Nightmare! 

• That’s a pain in the a… (well not as it turns out!).  Better to have it cancelled than have a hysterectomy though.  I hope you don’t have to wait too long for it to be rescheduled.  Easy for me to say but try not to worry, it doesn’t take that long and most guys just say it is unpleasant.  I have a very low pain threshold and managed with no problem.  Let us know how you get on and your results.  The folks on here will help you through all the next stages.  Best wishes,  David

• Thank you David. Thank you for checking in. It means so much to me