Hi , firstly ,,,sorry it’s me again , apologies for all my questions , But , as i said my husbands PSA Has greatly increased in the last 3 months ,  from 84 to 128

• 6 replies
  • 155 subscribers

increase in PSA is high and he’s got alzimers,

, i spoken on here about before , husbands psa has increased from 84 to 128 in 3 months , consultant was happy for him to be on watch and wait , , now his consultants secretary has rung my daughter saying the consultant wants to see him ,,,, my daughter explained about her dad’s refusal of treatment and his alzimers,,,and said  she thinks  it’s too much for him to take in , But was told he must attend ,,, ,,,,So My  daughter said ,,, my mum and me will attend the appointment, ,,,, the  secretary left ,,,,then returned and said “ No he wants to see your father “ ,,, so my daughter said why ,,, he’s on watch and wait ,,, to which she implied that was no longer the case ,,,my daughter said tablets ? “maybe ,,,, “ radiotherapy? ,,,possibly,,, But he must attend the appointment that’s on 25th April ,,,, My daughter said ,,, ok i’ll do my best to get him there ,,,, but please treat him gently ,,, DO NOT push CANCER at him ,,, as he takes it out on my mum ( due to the alzimers) ,,,, Any advise for me before we have to take him for this appointment will be appreciated. thanks Gena , 

• Hi  Gena, sorry to hear about your husbands PSA rise, the consultant will be wanting to talk about possible treatments with your husband, I know he has alzheimers, but his wishes and consent are still very important and the consultant will  want to see if your husband can make an informed decision abut his wishes. Macmillan have advice for patients and family and cancer treatment which may help. At the top of this page you will see, Cancer info and support, click on, then type in, Treating cancer in someone with dementia. I know it's a really difficult time for all your family, made even harder by alzheimers but good luck for next week and best wishes to you and your family.

Eddie

• Hi Gena.

I have attached the link that Eddie has referred to. From reading, it would seem that the doctor may be wanting to make an assessment of your husband and to try and find a way of getting some form of treatment to him. At a basic level there are injections which are given monthly, 3 monthly or 6 monthly to hold the cancer at bay but these are usually dependent on having to take a tablet for a few days first. Also can I suggest that you drop a letter to the consultant prior to the meeting outlining the situation at home so that they will know what they are dealing with as this might influence their approach and treatment decisions.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/supporting-someone/cancer-and-dementia/treating-cancer-in-someone-with-dementia

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read that his PSA has increased and yes as he is still deemed to have "mental capacity" he is duty bound to be seen by the medical professional dealing with his cancer journey.

The advice regarding his treatment mentioned by  and  is spot on and there is plenty of advice there. For further re-assurance and to talk this through before the meeting please give our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) a call.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Good morning Eddie , ( hubbys namesake ) thankyou i will take a look at that link , thanks again Gena, 

• Good morning Alwayshope . that makes sence , im not looking forward to the appointment , but , a letter to the consultant is a great idea. thanks again Gena, 

• Morning Gena, you are welcome, everyone on the forum is happy to help in any way we can so please ask us anything, take care

Eddie