Just diagnosed

• 22 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Had an MRI a few weeks back following a PSA test which came back with a score of 111!

Yesterday was the worst day of my life by far. They said I have advanced prostrate cancer and it has spread to my lymph nodes in the pelvis area. They haven’t done the bone scan or biopsy yet. She said they couldn’t see anything bone wise on the MRI, so I have my fingers crossed. They gave me a date of 8th May for the biopsy, but no date on the bone scan. So it’s a waiting game. I guess that’s normal? 

They put me on bicalutamide and I have a Zoladex injection in a week’s time. Not what I was expecting at just 56 years old.

I had been lurking in the forum for about a week, before yesterday, reading some of your stories a big thanks to everyone on here. Some of your experiences and knowledge really helped me yesterday. I’m sure there are tons of things i should’ve and should ask, but for now just taking it as it comes. 

• Hi  ,  the others have covered most of what I would have said.  Your diagnosis is similar to mine, 7 years ago.

The process is a complete rollercoaster but remember, you have already started treatment and there really isn’t a panic to move onto further treatment for a few months.  Good luck with your scan and please feel free to ask any questions.  There is an amazing array of experience within this group.  Best wishes. David

• Hi Grantyo12 

No probs my friend, yes it was a huge number.

There's not many of us around mind you I am no longer in that club.

Yes it is nice to get aquinted with the PSA numbers!!!!!   

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi Grantyo12,

First of all, don’t panic (yes, I know, easy to say - harder to comply).  The key is that yes, it is advanced because it’s outside the prostate, but it may be locally advanced - which is still curable.  Millibob - has already replied - also had a high PSA (higher than yours) but he is also curable. They haven’t done a biopsy yet - so you’re waiting for your Gleason score (histology is king).  Hopefully, if the bone scan is clear and you have a cancer that isn’t wildly aggressive, they will put you on a curative pathway.  TBH, I think surgery will be off the table, but radiotherapy (including brachytherapy boost) may well still be on there.  They may go straight for 37 fractions (2 Gy per fraction) for your whole pelvic area (to zap all the lymph nodes and hence kill the cancer.  Check out my bio - I was where you are now regarding worry about the future, but treatments now are so clever and there’s lots in the armoury.  You are relatively young, so you should withstand a real arsenal of attack against your cancer to cure you.  Try not to worry and keep the faith.  It’s been found and now you need to fight it.   AW

• Hi Grantyo12, welcome to this forum. I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but , as others have said, prostate cancer can be very well managed these days - there is a whole armoury of treatments out there. I hope you get your scans soon and get to know where you stand and have a plan of action.

best of luck on your journey. Do let us know how it goes?

• Thanks everyone, you’re all so supportive. It’s really helped me on D day +1 to know there are so many kind people out there. I will keep you updated. I’m going to push the urology team tomorrow for the bone scan date. I already managed to get an earlier date on the biopsy of 30th Apr.

• Hello

My hubby is recently diagnosed and he's 57,no symptoms just picked up from a screening blood test.  You are at the most scary and awful part of this. We were faced with delays to biopsy and consultant appointments and we spent days chasing everyone to get earlier appointments and take a cancellation at short notice. It takes time but it did get us seen quicker. The wait is agony but please believe me it does get easier once you have the full picture and know what the treatment plan is. Hubby has started HT and will be starting RT in July sometime. The good thing is that the HT stops the cancer from going walk about and your mind can settle a little.

They are a great bunch on here and you will get loads of support so reach out about anything. 

Best wishes 

• WELL DONE getting the earlier biopsy date !   I know that feeling !!  AW

• Update 19/04. 

I now have dates for my bone scan and biopsy. 26th for the bone scan and 30th for the biopsy. So not too long to wait now. 

• Hi Granyo12

That's not long at all and a week soon goes by. My partner got quite proactive in the early days when he was waiting around by looking at things he could do and changes he could make to his health. It kept us both busy, researching better things to eat ( less read meat etc) stepping up the fitness with a new regime which is really important, and looking at supplements- Calcium and vitamin D are good to add to your diet for bone strength. (Advice from our consultant) You will find that some side effects of the HT, putting on weight around the middle and fatigue can be counter balanced to a degree with these changes so it's good to get ahead and organised. 

Best wishes L

• Yes, I was quite pleased that they’ve sorted dates so quickly. The consultant actually prescribed a vit c and calcium supplement. I’m certainly going to look into diet. Luckily I never eat red meat anyway, I could do without the extra round the middle though Joy. I start the Zoladex on Tuesday so I’ll see how it goes!