Medical travel insurance

• 3 replies
  • 152 subscribers

Hi group, 

I need some help from you if possible. Before Prostate my wife and I travelled abroad extensively even though we both have other medical conditions than cancer. We had no trouble getting annual travel insurance but in making an application earlier this year, we found the quote was seven times what it had been previously. The price was exorbitant and we cannot afford it.The obvious difference is that I now have prostate cancer and have been treated successful for the past 4 years. We are both very able to travel as our medical conditions will not prevent us from travelling.

Has anyone out there purchased such insurance at a reasonable cost, say less than £1000, and which company did you use?

Thanks for your future help

Greatgrandad

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I hope you don't mind me replying, as I'm not a member of this group, but your subject title of 'medical travel insurance' caught my eye.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

It has been recommended in the past to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I do hope that you can get travel insurance at a reasonable price so that you and your wife can enjoy travelling again.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello, I have stage 4 metastatic PC Gleason 9, since my diagnosis I travelled to Tenerife in February for 5 days and am going to Mallorca in 2 weeks, and Ibiza for my 40th in September and all insurances have been under £80 using a company called "insurance with" Good luck

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• Hi,

I have a few health issues including prostrate cancer. I tried nine companies. Insurancewith offered one year travel insurance at £412 with a £900 excess. I also took out insurance for the excess at £15 with means I pay no excess.

Jan