Diagnosis

• 10 replies
  • 155 subscribers

Hi,

Have been diagnosed with prostate cancer today, just such a shock.

Hard to deal with, hard to tell your loved ones.

Scared of what  happens next.

Hopping i can get treatment and recover fully and spend another 20 or so years with my family, i am 58, so still relatively  young.

• Hi Digglet

Sorry about your news, if I can ask what did they tell you, as in your PSA, or Gleason, or what stage it is ?

PC is very slow to grow, so do not panic, when is your appointment to see the oncologist ? 
    Now, first your still the same person, the only thing that’s going to change is when your treatment starts, and your young so that should not be a problem. 
    Telling the family brings an immediate oh no response, but it needs to be done, just pick the right moment. Remember you do not have the plague this is treatable or curable, either way your going to be with them for many years, I’am nearly five years stage four incurable down the line, so be positive, if you want to tell friends fine, your still the same person, do not worry, the cancer people deal with this all the time, your not on your own, people here will give advice and encouragement, just ask us.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe,

Thank you for your message and words of encouragement, it helps as I have only just been told today and it is like a bomb going off in your brain, panic, confusion, fear, why me, etc, but you have been there so you know the score.It will take time to get to grips with it.

I had PSA levels of 6, then two weeks later it was 5.8, I went for an MRI scan and it showed a lesion on my prostate.

So I took the option of a biopsy, which I had on the 27th of April, unfortunately i have had complications with bleeding and clot retention, been in and out of hospital several times and sent home with a catheter for two weeks.

In the phone call today, they said i had a Gleason score of 7 (3+4) and that the cancer appears it may be contained in one side of the prostate.

They also said the my T stage is T2a/b, but that I need another scan, when they inject a radio active dye to get a much more accurate picture as to what stage my cancer is at and what treatment I may need.

That will be in about two weeks time, think I will then get an appointment with my Oncologist after that scan.

Regards

Doug

• Hello Digglet

I'm also nearly five years down the line. Had the da Vinci. PSA currently less than 0.1.

I was scared. And I had lots of tearful moments. Now I don't really worry at all.

When I was in for a check up with the Croaker I got into a conversation with a man who'd had prostate cancer for seventeen years.

Good luck.

• Thanks Dennis,

It is all a lot to take in and will take some time to get to grips with the shock, the terminoligy etc.

What is the Da Vinci?

Regards

Doug

• Hi Doug

Bit unlucky with the biopsy, some people get that, PSA is low that’s good, also contained another plus, I’ve had a few of those scans makes you warm in certain places. 
    When you see the oncologist make sure you have questions ready to ask, then jot down the answers, if someone can come with you all the better, two people asking is better than one. Remember don’t decide straight away view what options they will give you, there good people only there to help.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Digglet 

Sorry to hear but your stats look like it's a non aggressive type.

Low PSA and Gleeson, looks like MRI showing contained within the gland.

On the face of it most likely curable.

It is a shock when u first hear but it will settle to a new norm , probably when u have treatment plan.

Best wishes and  you can always come on here for advice 

Steve

• Thanks for the advice Joe, great advice and support helps me to deal with this, thank you.

Regard

Doug

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for the message, it is reassuring to hear your comments, helps me deal with everything that is wirling around inside my head at the moment.

Regards

Doug

• Digglet

The da Vinci is a robot-assisted operation to remove the prostate.

https://www.urologists.org/article/procedures/da-vinci-prostatectomy

Worst bit was the bloody catheter afterwards.

• Hi Dennis,

Thanks, learning a lot of new terminology very quickly.

I have had a catheter on and off now since the 3rd of this month, i was one of the 1 in a hundred that had complications from the biopsy.

Have been told will be taken out on the 22nd of may, but it is getting really annoying now.