Biopsy

• 21 replies
  • 150 subscribers

I am new to the group today, had mri 2months ago, pirad 5 lesion detected, sent for biopsy no cancer, sent for fusion biopsy, cancer detected, 3+4 gleason 7 in 30% of cores, this week went for nuclear bone scan awaiting results, I have been told very little other than if bone scan is clear I have the choice of surgery or radiation and hormone treatment, how do I choose what is best option, the clinlc seem very reluctant to recommend one or the other, I have joined this group to try and gather as much information as possible, so any information you can give me would be good, by the way I am 74,

• Hi

I was past the point that I could have my prostate removed, but a few people on here have had this done. A lot have had gone the hormone route with radiotherapy, having the prostate removed can cause a few complications, not to everyone mind you. Your general scores say that your treatable, so just keep coming here others will guide you.

stay safe

Joe

• Thanks Joe I certainly will

• Hi Moll 

You can get extra side effects with surgery such as ED, urinary issues but not every one gets them .

Also surgery 3 hour op and catheter for a time afterwards.

Radiotherapy simpler, in my mind, u can get issues but they do tend to fade away over time.

Can cause another cancer years down the line but not sure how often this happens 

Worth doing plenty of research to help make the right decision.

Best wishes

Steve

• Thanks Steve, this is why I need the assistance of the forum, 

• You don't  have your TNM score yet (Tumour / Nodes / Metastases), but from what you say, if the bone scan is clear, the cancer is confined to the prostate. If that's the case, then either option is 'curative' (though there's no way to confirm a cure while you're alive!).

But what differentiates the two treatment choices is the side effects, and it's worth looking long and hard at them, both short term and long term, to see which would be the least horrible for you.

It's also well worth reading the 'toolkit' for general advice.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi, no I am hoping I will get that when I am told results of bone scan, I only know my gleason score and my psa of 3.4

• Gleeson 7 and PSA of only 3.4 it's unlikely to have spread to the bones.

Hopefully the MRI shows a small lesion , if that's the case then should be easily treatable.

• Hi, my lesion is 2cm,as we speak I am having a further  scan checking the soft tissue in my body, is it usual to have these scans for bone and tissue

• Not quite universal, but pretty routine. A sensible precaution, really.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi moll. I was 71 when diagnosed and offered surgery or HT/RT. I am a very active person doing a lot of walking, rowing several times a week (when allowed) and going to an aerobics class every week when it's on. My oncology nurse consultant advised that surgery can lead to stress incontinence when exercising so I chose the HT/ RT route. So far it has worked and my PSA is still undetectable.

I hope your treatment goes well.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)