Metastatic prostate cancer 3 1/2 years on!

• 2 replies
  • 153 subscribers

3 1/2 years on after stage 4 diagnosis metastatic prostate cancer. I still feel very ill, no energy, thoroughly fatigued, and feeling sick most of the time, lack of appetite and weak. I tried to do some gardening on Tuesday but had to sit down every few minutes as no strength in my arms and legs and out of breath. 

I was diagnosed in September 2017. I was put on Hormone therapy (Zoladex] every three months. This took my PSA levels down from 17.8 to 0.1 but also my testosterone levels down to almost zero. My Gleason score was 4+4 in 95% and the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes and seminal vestibule and metastasized in my left pelvic bone and ribs. I had investigations into symptoms in my bowels and started chemotherapy ( docetaxel ) in February 2018 six cycles. I had several hospitalizations, for infection of the blood and high temperature, and heart arrhythmia. However, I got over this neutropenia and started 19 sessions of radiotherapy in November 2018. After my treatment ended I started to start feeling ill again and felt I was just dragging myself around. I just wanted to sleep all the time. in November 2019 I fell in my hall and broke my hip in such a way it needed replacing. Whilst in hospital my oncologist visited me. it was decided I would come off the Zoladex. My testosterone levels didn't climb as expected and remained at only 1.1. This explained in part why I was always so tired, I was sleeping 14 hours a day. In September 2020 I had a heart ablation at St. Georges Tooting. This was unsuccessful as I had several instances of Atrial fibrillation and flutter since. My cardiologist has put me on a new heart rate drug and has organized a 24 hr. heart halter. My urologist has arranged a flexible camera up my waterworks to address my returning cancer symptoms. I am on over 30 medications including blood pressure, heavy-duty pain killers, blood thinners, flow tablets, bone strengtheners because of osteoporosis, laxatives, beta-blockers, nerve pain killers, and stomach calmers, and irritable bowel calmers. I don't feel too bad when sitting but as soon as I start standing or walking around or bending or exerting myself I feel really ill and have chest pain and breathing problems.

Any Ideas?!

• So sorry to hear your situation,  I also struggle with fatigue and emotional issues. As part of my blood tests they discovered a low b12 level. Meds and now regular b12 injections help but issues still remain but not as bad.

ask them to check your b12

• Must be awful.

From your account, it is much more likely because of your heart condition or your meds, rather than anything to do with your prostate.

If your meds have not been reviewed recently, I'd start right there.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.