Brachytherapy here we go

• 7 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi gang update time diagnosed 3+4 Psa 52 last April contained in Prostrate So treatment started yesterday with high dose of Brachytherapy all went well home now resting. Next 15 sessions of radiotherapy also on hormone replacement. I’m feeling good but just interested if anyone had been along this road and what the long term results would possibly be . In my mind I feel it’s going to be with me forever . Thanks gang 

• Hi

Always good news when treatment starts.

Think this is a bit different to the normal Brachy, high dose rate coupled with some external beam.

Think your chances are pretty similar to just using external beam so as it is contained potentially curable.

Hope all goes well, keep us posted

Best wishes

Steve 

• I am 4-3 (60% 4) after PSA 13.  PSA is already down to 1.4.  I’m due to have LDR Brachy on 19 December after I asked to be referred from Peterborough where they don’t do it. (insertion of seeds at Addenbrookes).  Then EBRT at Peterborough (I think they’re saying 23 sessions at 2Gy per session to reduce intensity). I’ve been on HT for 6 weeks.  

• I have been heavily influenced by the excellent results of the ASCENDE-RT trial, which deals with Brachytherapy Boost treatment (see my bio for link)

• Good luck I was nervous about the High dose brachytherapy but all went well very bruised but totally happy it’s done good luck with yours that should cure the bugger 

• Ok, will take a look, not heard of that trial before, also not heard of LDR Brachy and external beam together, know about HDR  Brachy  together with external beam

All the best

Steve 

• Hello  

Thanks for the update - I knew you having the treatment - but I thought it was due in the New Year - so that's happy days. I am pleased for you that all went well. 

As you are a bit of a "first" would you mind in updating your profile so that people who may want to think about this treatment know of your journey from start to date and how it's going. (You can read my journey by clicking on the photo of the beach next to my name). To do this you just click on the chair next to your name and follow the first 3 instructions under "how to upload a profile picture".

I know when I read about the "high dose" Brachytherapy it is given a a "curative treatment" so let's hope your new radioactive seeds do the job.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop.

Best wishes - Brian..

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Looks like you and I are “brothers in arms” - both Brachy Boost: yours with HDR and mine LDR.