Low white blood count cell and Chemo

• 26 replies
  • 113 subscribers

If you had blood tests and you got white blood cells  will you get pills to increase the cells or injections and how long will you need to wait before you can have chemo

thank you

• Husband had low white bloods after 1st chemotherapy session. It depends on how low they have gone. His had dropped to below 1.5% and he was told to inject with Filgrastim for 4 days subcutaneously. A doctor or nurse should show you how to do this properly. Since then he has done this after each session starting on day 3. A follow up blood test 7 days later showed that the white blood count was back up. We had no delay between sessions as the drop in white bloods was picked up quickly at the CBC 7 days after the first chemotherapy session. Whilst his white bloods are low he is going to be extra vulnerable so take precautions. Hope this helps.

• thank you appriciated,do you know you can have  Filgrastim by pills?

• I don't think so. Husband's supply comes as a prefilled syringe which has a very very small needle. He injects into the stomach or the top of the thigh, alternating the site depending on the number of doses. Don't be afraid of doing it. We were scared stiff to start with but once shown how and where to do it all became very easy. If your husband is prescribed with it make sure you have a cool bag as it has to be kept refrigerated. Dosage and duration is determined by the level of neutropenia but must not be administered for at least 24hrs after chemotherapy.

• My husband was told to inject as a matter of course five days after starting chemo.  We too were terrified but luckily have a friend who was a nurse all her working life, and she came and supervised the first injection.  As Aewayshope says, once you've done it once, it's fine!

• The needle is so fine you hardly feel it. (Quite a bit finer than the needles used for taking blood samples)

• he gone to hospital today I am not allowed to go with him to chemo and he not got mobile phone, he will not have cool bag with him  he  is  taking mini cab

• I am sure if there are any issues the hospital will sort him out with something.

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• It is not unusual for a partner to be excluded from the actual room where the chemotherapy is administered unless there is some medical reason why a carer needs to be present. It should be a personal choice whether you wish to accompany your husband to each appointment and I am sure you would not be prevented from doing this even if it means sitting having a very long cup of tea or coffee whilst he is having chemotherapy. It also gives you the opportunity to raise any questions you may have over supporting your husband on this part of the journey.

My husband has just had his 4th session of chemo today. We have a 4 hr drive each way so he could not attend on his own particularly with the after effects. I don't know what they put in it this time but have had a most entertaining trip. I'm just glad I was not driving (and nor was he). He came out of the session on a high with the department staff cheering him on. After a slight stagger we got him in the car where he promptly fell asleep. Half an hour later he woke in a sloppy mood reminiscing about our wedding in St Lucia. Fell asleep for another hour then woke up as if intoxicated. Great fun trying to get him out for a loo stop as it took 2 of us to get him in there amid the stares of others thinking he was inebriated. Apparently this reaction can occur if the chemo is infused too quickly. I have put him to bed to sleep it off. It wouldn't be so bad if he had cause to be intoxicated but, honest guv, he didn't. The car smelt like a brewery by the end of the journey.

• I go with him for his blood tests,We both do not drive,He likes to do his crosswords puzzles