Results

• 1 reply
  • 109 subscribers

Eight months post prostatectomy (Nov 3, 2022, not a day I will forget in a hurry). After the surgery, the pathology came back in 4 weeks as clear. One hurdle over. The surgeon did say they found more cancer than expected though. Am I all clear? I ask, we will have to wait for the three month PSA to find out he replies. Eight months later I get the requisition and appointment! Things are moving slowly post covid.

Pre-surgery PSA 6.7, Gleason 3+4, still not sure if it was a T2 or T3a

All appointments are done by phone now and it was a resident, not the surgeon. Long and the short, now PSA 0.011, no follow up treatment. Three monthly PSA tests for a year and 6 monthly phone appointments. The bit they threw in at the end, the tumour was still a 3+4, but much larger than expected and was pushing through the capsule.

Still having post surgery side effects, more of a minor irritation than anything, does not stop me doing the things I want to do, just have a plan a bit more.

A year ago, after the 2nd MRI and biopsy doctor said we could wait a year for treatment if I liked and 'hope it does not spread'. I thought I may as well get it done, why put off the inevitable. Just I well we did get on with it, thinking I dodged a bullet there!

No regrets on the treatment I had, even with the side effects.

Wishing all the best for those just starting out on the journey.

• Hello Aviator,

Thank you for sharing your journey with prostate cancer to others on the forum.

I am glad that your treatment has been completed and that although you are still having some post surgery side effects, that this does not stop you doing the things you want to do. (although with a bit more planning)

I am sure that you sharing that you have no regrets on the treatment, even with some side effects will help others who are in the process of being diagnosed or having treatment for their own prostate cancer. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm