Travel Insurance Success

• 2 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi,

In case it helps anyone, I thought I’d share our recent travel insurance success. 

After husband was advised he should have a biopsy in January as his PSA was starting to rise and MRI showed something suspicious, we postponed our planned trip to Lanzarote in February until October (assuming that was far enough away for everything to be sorted by then). As he’s now begun his hormone therapy and his oncologist has pencilled in radiotherapy to start in November, telling him to go and enjoy the holiday first, I decided to now risk trying to find travel insurance for the October trip.

I read lots of threads on Macmillan site and decided to start with a call to InsranceWith.com. The lady was so kind and helpful. The call took about half an hour with many questions to answer (hubby has many other medical conditions as well as PC). Outcome was we now have two weeks cover on their Sapphire (middle level) policy for £102 for both of us. Pleasantly surprised that firstly, we could get cover even though he hasn’t had his radiotherapy yet, and secondly, that the premium to cover all of his medical conditions was only £37 (included in the £102)

We will definitely use them again next spring when hopefully we will be able to plan more trips away.

Posting this in case it may help others.

Stay strong everyone x

• Hi

I used them, too, for a trip to Australia last year and they were very competitive and the only company who looked into every drug I was taking at the time.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Thank you for sharing this. We were due to go to Lanzarote at the end of August and when my husband was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at the beginning of May we were also told to take the holiday as the treatment could work around it. We decided that we would change the holiday as we didn't think we would enjoy it with this hanging over us. As the accommodation was 2 timeshare exchange weeks we were able to cancel them and as we had taken out the exchange companies insurance, we were able to re bank the weeks for use later. Rather than cancel our flight with easyjet we decide to change the flight. We changed the booking for Tenerife for our 50th wedding anniversary in March 2024 and booked accommodation direct with the apartment. 

When I rang our travel insurance that comes with our bank account, they refused to cover my husband, not only for the Prostate, but also for any other current medical conditions.

After shopping around I managed to get cover with Travel Insurance 4 Medical. for £243.87. This covered us both for all our existing medical conditions for the single trip. 

At the time of taking out the policy we didn't know which treatment option my husband would choose and when it would start so we ticked the box on the medical screening for 'treatment needed, but not started yet'. As this has now changed because he has had the surgery I'm not sure if this will affect the cover. On other companies screening I ticked the box for treatment completed and, one said they couldn't cover him and another said that we needed to call them. 

When he's had his post op follow up I will look into this further and may contact Insurance with.