Aging!!

• 7 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi all,

New to this group. I have stage 3 pc, and am now about 2 years post chemo and R/T.

as I imagine most people do I felt dreadful immediately after treatment but things slowly improved. Initially I could barely walk to the end of the road, now I can manage a mile or two. My question is this, my improvement has stopped and if anything is going down hill, I am 67 but feel more like 87 and this has happened so quickly.

I do try exercising but nothing seems to help, my legs in particular are week and indeed I have had a couple of tumbles. Nothing too frequent but I feel I am never far from another one.

normal? Suck it up princess?

• Hi Andie, my husband is stage 4 and completed chemo early December 23 and radio end of February and is experiencing the same.  He is 57 and was a physically strong man who cycled and walked for miles but now finds most things difficult, tired legs, stiff  joints and just general fatigue and has had a few tumbles also.  he has gained around 3 stone since starting treatment and gets so angry that he feels like an old man, however he lives in hope that things will get better.  
    I hope things improve for you both 

Very best wishes x

• Hi

My local sports centre has fitness classes for those recovering from all cancers. Might be worth checking if yours does too.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Andie, I'm a stage 4 incurable, I also experience weakness in my legs but still do 30 minutes of quick walking each day and swim twice a week, still I'd rather have the side effects than the alternative. All the best Ulls.

• Hi,  I would try and talk to your Macmillan Nurse or Hospital Key worker if you were given one.  If not then call your consultant's secretary and ask for advice or if you could get an appointment.  I know it's a bit like asking G-d to make the sunshine but just now it is beautifully sunny and has been for a long time so you never know.

• Andie, I was a T2, now in remission (15 months).  My fatigue never really left me.  All of my 'get up and go', got up and went.

I was having falls last year when my doctor put me in touch with the "falls' clinic".  These investigated very thoroughly to try to find out" why" I was having these falls.  I put it down to my coordination and balance.

After loads of tests, loads of waiting for Physio, I finally started Physio 2 weeks ago.

I didn't realise how bad my balance was and they gave me a walking stick for my balance.

I didn't realise how difficult it was to walk with a stick, especially with my coordination, but I'm getting there.

Work think that I am doing this on purpose (the stick), and they want me out.

Literally I don't care anymore.  If I do lose my job, me and my partner have decided to sell up and move.

Sorry for going on a bit.  The PC done that to me, made me a champion waffler.

Back to you again, ask your doctor to refer you to a falls clinic.  It might help you too.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi, thanks for this. MacMillan nurse or key worker? What are they? Can’t get a reply from secretary. To be fair my local hospital ( Southend ) is a cancer centre I believe and current staff shortage of staff Country wide isn’t helping but my last telephone review didn’t happen until I complained the next day. All doctors just ignore it and concentrate on the cancer ( which is the most important thing after all so I don’t blame them ) I will give macMillan a ring as they have a centre at southend

• Thanks.

genuine eye opener, never heard of a falls clinic!! Will look into that.