Freebies and benefits

• 2 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Following some comments on another post and for fear of hijacking that thread, I have started another topic! I hope that’s ok with everyone? It seems that the UK benefits and freebies that accompany a prostate cancer diagnosis are somewhat random but I have listed the ones mentioned in that post and perhaps people can add to or clarify or correct them so everybody can be aware?  ( please note, I’m not sure whether or not the list is universally applied across the devolved nations and whether or not other personal situations influence the right to the benefits)

1. It seems that if you have a cancer diagnosis you are entitled to free prescriptions?

2. my husband, who had RT and is on hormone therapy was told he is now clinically vulnerable and entitled to free covid tests and antivirals.

3 somebody has mentioned that they are eligible for the covid vaccine (and ? Antivirals and testing) because they are on steroids and have a weakened immune system.

best wishes!

• Hi WorriedWife.

My husband was given a card for free prescriptions for 5 years soon after his first cancer diagnosis.

He also received a box of free COVID tests through the post a couple of weeks after prostate cancer diagnosis, even before full grating was completed. We are in England

Best wishes,

Roselover

• Hi WW, as roselover has said cancer patients are eligible for free prescriptions, the reason for the 5year only is that some people go into remission, if not you can reapply, if GP or oncologist considers you to be vulnerable you can get covid test kits and top-up injections and anti virals you just need a letter from them.

I'm had my 7 covid injection and a phone number for the antivirus tablets.