Hot flushes

• 3 replies
  • 112 subscribers

I have stopped having Hormone injections 6 months ago but the hot flushes have started again. They were controlled by tablets but have stoped taking them a month ago and dont really want to start on them again.

When does your libido come back 

• Hi - I am still on HT and a daily sage tablet keeps my hot flushes at bay.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• If you were on a prescribed medication for hot flushes (Medroxyprogestrone, Cyproterone, Megestrol), these are all progestins which are weak hormone therapy drugs in their own right, so you probably don't want to be taking them if you're not on hormone therapy. Try the complimentary therapies such as sage or evening primrose oil, although if you are on any other medications, do a search to make sure these won't interact with them. Acupuncture is another one that works for many people.

When you come off hormone therapy, it's useful to have Testosterone added to your periodic PSA tests so you can see how it's recovering. In my experience, nothing changed for 9 months after the last injection ran out, and then Testosterone came back quite suddenly over the next month or so. The length of time before Testosterone recovers varies from one person to another and how long you were on it (nearly 2 years in my case), but it does tend to happen quite suddenly, and not gradually.

• That is the best news I have heard in a long time thanks