Grundo’s question about increasing PSA

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi Steve, I’ve started a new thread to answer your query regarding increasing PSA to avoid hijacking another thread. Hope that’s ok. 

If you’ve had radiotherapy as in your case, the definition of biochemical recurrence is your PSA nadir after radiotherapy plus 2.

For example if the PSA after radiotherapy falls to 0.2 at its lowest (this could be quite some time after radiotherapy was completed) then if the PSA reached 2.2 that should lead to oncology springing into action. An mpMRI and a bone scan might be done to see where the recurrence is. But, in some cases immediate hormone therapy would be started as you cannot have any more pelvic radiation. 

Depending in the PSA kinetics chemotherapy might be included too or Abiraterone or Enzalutamide added to the standard hormone therapy.

If it happens that the recurrence is only in the prostate itself a salvage prostatectomy can be done but it carries very high risk of incontinence and other damage. 

I know how you feel when the next PSA test is coming up. It still gives us all the jitters.

Hopefully all will still be well.

• Thanks for that Ian , gives me some more info.

There seems to be no easy answer, over 5 years after treatment mine has gone down to .55.

Just have to wait and see what next reading is.

Sounds like it could be allowed to go up to , say 2 ish without doing anything.

Trouble is no more RT and I don't want surgery which only leaves HT which I don't fancy either.

I realise I may be ok but always like to plan ahead for every eventuality, have some kind of plan in case.

Also do u know much about PARP inhibitors and immunotherapy.

Thanks again

Steve 

• Hi Steve, I hope your next PSA test is ok. I don’t know very much about PARP inhibitors or immunotherapy at this point. 

Ido4

• Thanks anyway Ian, at some stage will do research

all the best

steve

• I’ll probably do the same at some point. All the best to you too. 

Ido4