Supplements

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi everyone, have any of you either heard or tried Saw Palmetto herbal supplement? Someone mentioned it to my dad who is on hormone injections and awaiting possible radiotherapy. In its list of benefits it says it improves urinary tract function and prostate health but can also be used to stimulate or boost testosterone levels which is the part that makes me wary as we are trying to get dad's PSA down. Has anyone come across it, used it or know of a reason to avoid it? Cheers.

• Yes,  I used it on the advice of my son in the USA long before (about 14 years before) I was diagnosed with prostate cancer to be honest I don't know that it helped at all with anything.  I had an enlarged prostate then and eventually had a laser TURP procedure to enable me to urinate better because the prostate was enlarged and closing of the urethra.  I think I probably took this for 3 years before having to have the operation and then stopped as all it was doing for me was costing money.  That's not to say it wouldn't work for others but if it works on testosterone other than to lower it then I wouldn't touch it at this stage.

• Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I think it may be best to give it swerve as we don't want to aggravate anything. Thanks for the info Thumbsup