Radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy

• 2 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi All, I just wondered if anyone else has had a radical prostatectomy and then had the sad news that they have a biochemical reoccurance? This is the situation my husband is in and today we are going to talk to an oncologist about radiotherapy.

when my husband had his op 3 years ago he had clear surgical margins, so thought and hoped that the cancer was in the bin and never to be seen again. 

unfortunately, just before Christmas my husbands PSA had risen to 0.2 and is now at 0.3, but he obviously has no prostate so shouldn’t have a rise in PSA at all Disappointed

any advice on what happened to you in this situation or experience of radiotherapy or other treatments would be really appreciated. His Gleeson score was 3+4 in July 2019 following his prostatectomy.

best wishes,

Angela 

• Hi Angela, sorry to read about your husband’s biochemical recurrence. I had recurrence just over a year after prostatectomy followed by salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy. See my profile for details. Once you’ve read my profile I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. Wishing you both all best wishes.

Ido4

• Hi Angela I had prostatectomy by key hole surgery on August 2020 microscopic cancer cells found in my seminal vesicles which were removed the same time my cancer was graded T3B but with clear surgical margins but my PSA was 0.1 a month after surgery and 0.2 a month later tested again in 3 months PSA 0.3  my Gleeson score was 4+3 oncologist not happy with the rate of PSA got more bone and MRI scans that came back negative I was then referred for the PMSA scan which is more reliable in detecting cancer cells 93% compared to 65% with a MRI scan Scotland just approved PSMA scans about 2/3 years ago because of costs I believe England was earlier(Google PSMA scan)  my PSMA and bone scan came back negative, was given 3 weeks of hormone tablets my PSA now was 0.4  and then started my first Prostap injection 28 June 2021 PSA 9 August 2021 0.1 then started my first round of 20 radiotherapy sessions 20 September 2021 found it to be no problem water works and back passage ok monthly injections at first now on 3 monthly injections which is better less visits to the doctors surgery my last injection I hope will be March 2023. PSA now below 0.1 which is good apparently the equipment used here doesnt register anything below 0.1. PSA getting tested every 6 months I would rather have it every 3 months but I dont make them decisions. Hope this is of any help on what to expect