Genetic testing

• 8 replies
  • 110 subscribers

After my diagnosis last year my 1st thought was for my children and is this genetic. After a lot of searching I found a genetic testing study which I entered, the study looks at all cancer mutations in the body not just prostate and gives results in 6-9 months. Well my 9 months is up since I sent off my blood samples and I have an appointment on Tuesday for my results. To say I am anxious would be an understatement, worse than waiting for a scan.

I have started to wonder has anybody on here ever had this done?

If my results come back as a specific mutation could that open the door to any targeted treatments?

My main concern is obviously could my children have this mutation and that's why I've entered the study but my wife asked me that last question and it got me thinking.

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• Paul

Well done for entering into this test.

We have two boys and wonder ourselves if either one of them will get this horrible disease.

Ginny

• Don't know the answer to that question but obviously it could.  There is a genetic testing centre at our hospital Unfortunately at the time of my diagnosis I was too old to join any studies but I did pass on information to the other gentlemen in our "Walnut Club" at Maggies.  I have to say I am worried in my family as my Dad died with prostate Cancer at nearly 89 - he actually died of heart problems brought on by pneumonia. My younger brother and I were both diagnosed with prostate cancer at around about the same age but worse still my late wife's brother died of prostate cancer at nearly 70 having been diagnosed at 55 and both my late wife and her sister had ovarian cancer in their late 50's.  Sadly my wife died of ovarian cancer at 57 as it had been misdiagnosed for nearly 3 years but thankfully her little sister had earlier treatment and is now fine.  So yes,  I am worried for my two sons as they are now in their 50's and I keep reminding them to get their PSA checked regularly.  My eldest son has recorded a slight rise in his PSA in the last 4 years but I am hoping that is just his age. 

When I was diagnosed my urologist urged me to ensure that I get  all my male friends to go for regular PSA tests - which I had already done as i had been having regular tests for 20 years or so before diagnosis.  I still remind them.  I had a close colleague - just a little younger than me die at 58 from Prostate Cancer - ignoring all symptoms he just went on with a bad standard of life for a couple of years with back pain urinary problems etc until about a month before he died when he finally went to his GP.  He was a man who had refused PSA tests even though he knew that I had been having regular tests since the age of 50 and I got my little brother to start having tests when he was 45.

• It a horrible feeling isn't it. My uncle and brother have entered as well as they are worried about there children and themselves, the study needs so many people with PC and so many without and if anything is picked up with them then they will have access to early screening scans etc so that is good

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• I'm so to hear that Freefaller, your family have had a rough time with this horrible disease you'd think they'd make an exception and test you, after all it's only a blood sample. Take care

Regards

Paul

• At least we are aware and I can make sure that my son's receive regular testing - forewarned is forearmed

• Well may as well close of this thread with my results.... Good news, my cancer is not from a hereditary mutation of BRCA1/2 or any other which can be passed to my children. I was so relieved I broke down on the phone, I'm blaming the HT and enzalutamide though haha i also have no mutations linked with any other cancers or lynch syndrome so I'm happy. This has been my main worry since last March so I'm happy I can move on from it. Take care everyone x

Regards

Paul

• Great news, I had a telephone consultation for a trial today so I'm about 9 months behind you

• Good luck mate

Regards

Paul