Reoccurring uti infections

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Is there anyone who is self catheterising twice a day as well as peeing as usual, after radiotherapy treatment?

My father is doing so and is getting reoccurring uti’s. No sooner than he finishes the antibiotics, he gets another uti after only days of respite. 
He is prescribed Nitrofurantoin. 
He uses the liquid pump soap that kills bacteria to wash his hands.

After being off antibiotics for two days another uti started last night. We are going to have to try out of hours doctors to get a prescription as he is struggling.

Does anyone have similar experiences of this and any tips or ideas, to stop these reoccurring uti’s?

TIA

• Is he drinking enough? Infection moves upward, while plenty of fluid ensures good flushing downward. He should be drinking at least 2 litres a day.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Have they sent a sample of urine off for culture? My husband has a succession of urinary tract infections, treated with nitrofurantoin until they discovered that the infection was not sensitive to it. The path lab culture recommended a different antibiotic which cured it and he hasn't had an infection since. 

• Thank you, I will reinforce with him that he needs to drink 2 litres a day.

• He has had the culture grown at hospital. We will ask for another check next time he gets an infection, to be sure. Thank you for your reply.