Help with my Disabilities

• 1 reply
  • 108 subscribers

Hi All 

Brief background - Prostatectomy 2017 with complications- 4 operations later - last op 2019 - cancer free 4 years but left with a Stoma - 2 big stomach hernias and incontinent ( manage this with sheaths and leg bags ) - but make the most of life - just had my PIP taken away - they say I can manage - yes I do as I am determined to make the most of life but - I still need help - however if I have a leak or issue I cannot park near a disabled toilet so invariably I flood all over myself before I make the toilet - I don’t care about the money but how can I get a disabled badge - it’s impossible so I have to empty my urine bag on the car park - not very dignified but essential - anyone any ideas please ?

• Your GP will assess you for a disabled badge or contact Macmillan at your cancer centre or another cancer charity who will be able to help you - you should be able to get one.  It may not work first time but appeal.  My neighbour has one because she just needs more room to open her door to get out because of her condition.  You can also get a card from either Macmillan or Bowel and Bladder Association which should enable you to use a cafe of shop lavatory it explains that your condition means that you may need to use a lavatory at short notice and would they give you access to their lavatory - if there are not public lavatories available.  Also please get a radar key which will enable you to have access to the locked disabled lavatories - these cost about £5.00 or so from.  as for the PIP I would also contact either Macmillan or got to a Maggies Cancer Self Help Centre where there are benefits advisors to help you.  These charities are not just for you if you are suffering from cancer but also for cancer survivors and their families.

All the best.