Father in pain

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi, I am new to this chat and just hoping someone else will understand my situation. My Father was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer in 2019. In the last few years he has gone through all of the hormone therapy and they have all gradually stopped working, he now receives injections every few months but that is all.  In June his legs gave out and he was in incredible pain and underwent emergency spinal decompression surgery. This allowed him to walk again but he has never fully recovered. It hasn't helped that the stress of everything contributed to my mother having a severe stroke two weeks after his surgery, she is now in a nursing home full time.

My Mother was his carer, I live 150 miles away, since then I have been travelling down to help every few weeks but I can't be down with him permanently as I have a family at home. Moving him to us is difficult because of my Mum's situation, his continuing healthcare and his medical needs. 

My main problem is that his pain is increasing again and he isn't really eating. The pain only happens when he moves so we don't even know if it is the cancer but trying to chase tests, oncologists, GP, hospice help is so hard, everyone is stretched so thin. He is starting to say he can't cope at home on his own and I just don't know what to do.

He was supposed to start radium 223 treatment months ago but we haven't heard anything. I chased the tests he needed and he has now had a bone and ct scan but we don't know the results yet, so we don't know if it is now too late for the treatment. 

Sorry for the long ramble but I am really struggling with everything and I don't know what to do for the best. Can anyone shed any light on pain that isn't there all the time, only when moving.

• I'm sorry to hear of your problems - the distance always makes things worse ..

I don't think it's possible to answer your question, but I'd strongly suggest you get him a hospice referral: he might not need the hospice now, but that time will come. Also, generally, hospice doctors and nurses are the experts in cancer symptoms, especially pain, and they can almost certainly help with that.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Thank you for your reply. I speak to the hospice nurses when I can but they just tell him to take more morphine. But the morphine makes him feel terrible and doesn't ease the pain. 

I am going to try and call a central help number called Echo this morning and see what they suggest.