Hair

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Morning All, hope your all well. 

A quick question does everyone who has chemo lose there hair and if so how long did it take before it started disappearing. Also did take long to grow back after treatment finished.

Cheers. 

• Hi Marty. My husbands hair started to fall out 2nd week after his 1St Chemo. He was fortunate it started to grow back after 3rd cycle. He is also Gleason 8 PSA at diagnosis 528 now 0.03 he was diagnosed January 2018grade4 with spread to the bones.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to hellodolly

Hi, that's good to here. Thank you for getting back to me.

• hey 

mine dropped out 2 weeks after my 1st cycle , started growing again quite quickly after finnishing chemo !!

• Hi,

I think I said in answer to your first question that my Brother-in-law who had chemo for gullet cancer used the cold cap to avoid hairloss.  Just been speaking to my sister and she said he only used it for the first sessions of chemo he had prior to  his operation and not for the sessions of chemo after his operation as it was so uncomfortable.  He had about 15 chemo sessions altogether.  As it was he didn't lose a lot of hair and when the hair he did lose grew back it grew back darker so he looked about 10 years younger as he was quite white haired prior to the chemo. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anubis

That's good to hear!

• Like others have said, mine started to go in the second week after the first session. Didn't lose all of it, just thinned out a bit. Shaved it all off after I had my last chemo a couple of weeks ago and it's coming back. Eyebrows might take a little while longer however...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nevski

Hi I'm wondering if I should have chemo as I haven't been to the barbers for 2 months and I feel I'm looking like a shaggy dog lol

• If you’re properly house trained, then I’m sure the chemo Unit will accommodate no problem.

Don't let your good days be spoilt by the worry of a bad day, that may or may not come along.

• I started to lose significantly around 2nd week 1st cycle.  I choose to shave off as I found that easier than seeing my hair gradually fall out.  Typically I now need my first haircut in 8 months.