Proton Beam

• 5 replies
  • 110 subscribers

For people interested  in the technical side of treatments, good program on BBC 2 last week on the building of two proton centres, one in Manchester(now open) and London (opens 2020).

Repeated tonight 11.35 ......250 million pound cancer cure, worth a look

• Thanks Grundo.

Missed it last time. Will record tonight's showing.

Hoping for personal growth and a return to full health
  • Hi 

Has anyone out there had proton beam therapy for prostate cancer at one of the Rutherford Cancer Centres?

I've been on active surveillance for nearly five years but my PSA has started accelerating so maybe it's time for treatment.

• Hi David 

If you see the beginning of this thread I mentioned two proton centres opening in 2020, not sure how that went because of Covid.

Proton beam looks good but I don't think will be readily available for some time.

Don't forget the latest External beam Radiotherapy does work very well with minimal short term side effects.

Best wishes

Steve

• Hi

Ive known about the proton treatment for some time, followed the building of the one at Christie’s, there’s a few doted round the country, mostly private. There mainly used for tumours in the brain as they can pin point where the beam needs to hit. Unfortunately us prostate people are a little down the line as regards treatment, but maybe one day soon.

Stay safe

Joe

• Maybe you should also consider cyber knife - available at Royal Marsden - and probably at other centres now too.