Pelvic lymph node dissection, can it cure the cancer?

• 1 reply
  • 131 subscribers

I am a PCA patient, whonhas undergone RP and had a BCR with. 2 rt iliac lymph nodes tumor. I was given a 6 week radiation.

Subsequent PET SCAN in april 2024,  showed no lesion in that area.

However, my PSA was creeping up and since i was on surveillance, I was made to undergo another psma scan in september 2024.

Surprisingly, there is a small tumor in rt iliac lymph node, the same area where radiation was given.

So one option is to remove the rt iliac lymph node, and again monitor psa.

So i want to know if this is an accepted aproach?

Has anyone done this surgery, and did it stop the spread of cancer? I am hearing two diverse views. Onco surgeons say since its recurring at one location, if we emove those lymph nodes, i can be in remission.while the oncologist says that even if i remove the rt iliac lymph nodes, since the cancer cells are circulating in the blod, they can find a host at some other pelvic lumph node or other location.

Has anyone faced this situation?

• Hi  interesting that 2 experts can give different views.  Can they both be right?  If you remove the lymph nodes and wait 5 years you still won’t know if the surgeon was right or wrong.  In my case, I had RT to pelvic area and chemo and at the end there was no detectable cancer in my prostate or pelvis shown on PET.  My oncologist followed the line that the PCa was still present but dormant and sure enough it has just popped up again in my sternum.  Your decision point is similar to the guys at the start of their journey offered an operation or RT.  I think it’s a personal choice, so I suggest you write a list of pros and cons of each option and then make your decision.  I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself.  Hopefully others will be along with actual info and you can ignore my ramblings.  Best wishes, David