Oncologist warning of protentional spread in bones.

• 2 replies
  • 131 subscribers

I am on my 4th chemo this Thursday part of triple therapy , my PSA was over 1500 which came down to 40 in a month, last PSA was 43 but Oncologist was not worried, had a telephone conversation with him yesterday and said we will do a scan after you last chemo treatment that will be the 6th one but be surprised if cancer has spread a little in your bones which he said he was not to worried about, cancer is in bottom of spine and one hot spot on sternum and multiple lymph nodes he said he is more worried about getting the cancer in the lymph nodes, finished conversation  and then worried, is this normal?

• Hello Neil ( 

It sounds to me as if you are doing fine on Triplet Therapy and it's doing the business. The worry about cancer in the lymph nodes is that they are almost like a "motorway system" in your body and once the cancer hits them it can turn up anywhere.

Having been told by your oncologist he's not worried I would be tempted to wait and see what the scan after your triplet therapy finishes and to see what further (if any) action he proposes to take.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Neil5234.

Good afternoon and welcome to the prostate family it's great to meet you today.

Yes my PSA was 1000+ last June 2023 which also dropped to single figures within weeks/month.

My consultant wasn't too concerned with my  PSA rising 3 times in a row but once I told him that I had started to get increasing pain in my right hip he soon changed his tune.

I was instantly given an X-ray and I have also had a bone scan. The X-ray unfortunately showed cancer mets in the whole of my pelvis.

I had Radiotherapy to this area last week (one shot) and I am currently recovering at home.

Yes having the cancer involved in the lymph nodes means that it could start to spread. But they would hope that the chemo would have something to say in regards to this.

I would wait to see what comes about from your scan as this is something that I am hoping for in the coming weeks to see how effective my RT has worked.

Prostate Worrier.