Question about radiotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi All

I spoke to a member of the Oncology team yesterday. The consultant I've dealt with in the past was not available so one of his team called me. Five hours after the appointment time but thats a different story!

I explained about the pain in my hips and back that developed a couple of months ago and they are going to schedule some more scans to see if it is being caused by bone mets

Something is obviously going on as my PSA level has doubled every 3 months since February

One of the treatment options they mentioned was radiotherapy to the affected bones if it turns out that is the issue.

As I like to be informed and I haven't looked into radiotherapy as it wasn't part of my original treatment can someone that has gone through treatment of bone mets with radiotherapy give me a summary of what to expect

I appreciate that everyone is different and there may be differences in treatment but a basic outline would help put my mind at rest a bit

How many treatments?

Length of appointment?

Side effects?

Successful or not?

Can you drive yourself before/after treatment? It would be a 100 mile round trip each time so this is important

Many Thanks

• Hi  , sorry you are still having unexplained pains.  Are they constant or intermittent?  I haven’t had bone RT but had 37 blasts over an 8 week period so am quite familiar with the RT process.

Firstly, you won’t feel anything, much like a scan to be honest.  At my first session, my wife came with me, but after that I went on my own and drove home (about 20 mins).  I gradually felt more tired as treatments progressed but can’t imagine even at the end not being able to drive for a couple of hours (presume if you felt tired you could have a break).  As my RT was concentrated around my prostate and pelvis, my giblets (as a consultant friend described the surrounding area to me) were impacted, so some toilet changes, but that shouldn’t impact you.  Hopefully others will be along soon, with further info.  Best wishes, David

• Thanks for the info.
    The pain in back and hips came on at the same time.
    It's constant whenever I move/walk.
    I'm still managing to walk the dog twice a day but have to be careful how I walk and no sudden movements.
    I cant take any strong painkillers as they leave me unable to think.  My job involves sitting on my backside and I have a good chair so that helps until I stand up
    I cant practise martial arts at the moment which annoys me but it would just be too painful but I am managing to ride a motorbike when the weather allows as it's mostly sitting down ;-)

I'll know more once the scans are done but information is always useful

• That is interesting.  I have had various twinges but whenever I mention them to the oncologist or CNS they say unlikely to be related unless it is constant.  Hopefully others who have bone mets can answer.  David

• Morning Slartibartfast,

I have had 3 courses of treatment to a secodary tumour on my iliac bone. Firstly a planning scan. Then a meeting with the Radiologist to explain process and answer any queries.  I had a 45 mile round trip and drove to all appointments. I am on the 'Colo-Spirit' research into management of Radiotherapy to the Pelvic bone @ Newcastle University. If you click on my profile photo you can read about how it affected me as a bit long winded. Hope all goes well for you in getting some answers.

Best wishes, Graham. 

• After my discussion with the oncology people last Tuesday I have received a letter asking me to go for a CT scan next Sunday afternoon.

Pretty quick!

I also had another letter for an Oncology appointment but I have to wait until October for that.

Nice to see the wheels are turning ;-)