Apalutamide -Skin rash-

• 12 replies
  • 134 subscribers
  1. Taking Apalutamide for 4 weeks and got itchy rash on both calves should I be concerned?
  • Good evening Lanzarote, hope you are well. My Oh has been on Alaputamide for nearly 4 weeks now and is doing really well. I do know that alaputamide can have side effects of skin rashes and itchiness especially in the pelvic region which I was told by the Nurse. My husband tends to moisturise every day after a shower which seems to be keeping the itchiness at bay so far. I do keep the moisturiser in the fridge. What I have researched is that this is a common side effect along with dry skin. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Majestic

• Many thanks - can I ask what moisturiser you use 

• The moisturiser he’s been using from the start is Aveeno as it’s not as scented as other brands but any good Moisturiser will do. I also keep a pot of sudo cream just in case of any breakouts. Plenty ofFactor 50 sun cream for him too if it’s sunny,   This is all new to me at the moment so it’s a bit trial and error but things seem to be working. I have read that HT and the sun is not a good combination. Better safe than sorry.

• Hello - can I ask you if you started Apalutamide shortly before an injection or are you just taking Apalutamide?

I am due to start HT with an injection at the hospital

on the 22nd of this month  but a little confused because I have read that you need to be taking tablets well before the injection.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

• Good evening loosechange, hope you are well. OH was on bicultimide 14 days before he had the zoladex implant.and 14 days after. A month after that he started on Alaputimde.tablets 4 a day which after a phone call from his nurse yesterday his Psa is down to 0.09 from 143 at the beginning of this journey. We are over the moon. It’s still early days for us and he is getting hot flushes but I check his blood pressure regular and it’s good, Hope this gives you encouragement. Best wishes.

majestic

• Thank you for your reply

• Good morning  .

Majestic has gone down the conventional route of Bicalutamide and then the injection. The route of Apalutamide and then the injection has been studied and it has been found that it is possible to take Apalutamide even up to an hour prior to Goserelin or Leuprolide and this prevents the flare associated with administration of the injection and should reduce the testosterone to castrate level in approximately 28 days. Conventionally Bicalutamide was taken prior to the injection to prevent the flare.

• Thank you for your reply.

Just not sure how( Bical v Apalu)compares

but your message has helped to clarify 

• Bicalutamide is a first generation antiandrogen, whereas Apalutamide is second generation.

Bicalutamide selectively binds to the testosterone and stops the cancer from being able to do this and takes away its food. Apalutamide works in a similar way but generally second generation antiandrogens work in a stronger way than the first generation antiandrogens. Apalutamide gives better results than Bicalutamide in terms of overall survival and time to recurrence. The injections work in a different way to stop the production of testosterone. The combination of the injection and tablets improve the control of the cancer even further.

• HI 

I have been on Apalutamide for 25 months  came out in a rash covering upper torso and arms after taking it for 2 months my oncologist prescribed Hyrocortizone cream 1%   cleared it  up after a few weeks had no reoccurrence