completely terrified

• 31 replies
  • 134 subscribers

hello 

52 years old man. MRI PiRads 4 (10x11 mm pseudonodular lesion with ill-defined margins in Peripherical zone)
Lesion located in the posterolateral segment of the lower third of the left apical peripheral lobe.
PSA 5.33 ng/ml. Prostate size: 30 cc

Systematic biopsy and targeted (total 14 cores). 5 cores targeted to lesion index (3 positives & 2 negatives).
Adenocarcinoma GLEASON 6 (3+3) Core with the greatest impact is 60%. 35% total involvement of all material sent for biopsy.
Rest of prostate without evidence of malignancy.

I am completely devastated and terrified. 

Since then I have lived in permanent anguish without knowing what is best and what my future will be.
  • Hi Henry, my hubby is 58 and was diagnosed in February. Husband PSA was 3.9 so it was an enormous shock to find he had cancer. Like you we were absolutely terrified, lots of tears,sleepless nights, the absolute worst time. He is Gleason 7,(3+4) T3a N0Mo, so your stats are a bit better. He is on a curative pathway on Hormone Therapy and  a wait for Radiotherapy . So it's is curable and the Hormones stop the cancer in it's tracks.

Please be reassured this part of the process is the absolute worst. The others on here told me that when I first reached out but I didn't quite believe them,but they are so right. Once to get a treatment plan in place you will start to feel better.

Others we reply to you soon and if you need to ask anything please do, someone here will have the answer. 

Take care xx

• Hello  .

A warm welcome to the family but bet you wish you didn't have to be in this situation. Oh how we all remember that day when you get the diagnosis and wish you could turn back the clock. Take a deep breath and lets look at your situation. You are young and have a low PSA - good. The cancer is confined to one lobe and contained- good. Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of prostate cancer and along with the Gleason 3+3=6 is usually slow growing -good. Do you have a TNM - this will give more information and direct treatment pathway. I have attached an information link explaining things. From the stats you have given you will probably be offered 3 options - Active Surveillance, Prostatectomy or Radiotherapy. There are pros and cons to each of the choices but the good news is that you can probably be cured.

You are at the worst stage at the moment because everything is still up in the air. Things will get better once you have a treatment plan but can fully understand that everything is revolving around Prostate cancer. The other good thing is that treatments have evolved so quickly in recent years which means that they have less side effects both short and long term.

Please come back with any questions and feel free to join in any of the conversations.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/what-do-my-test-results-mean

• Hi my stats are exactly the same as your husbands 3+4=7 t3a mo no I am 60 years old psa was 5.7 now 1.3 due to have RT in august is that when he is having his RT please keep me updated take care paul

• hello   thank u very much for ur answer.

In the reports it does not say anything about the TMN.
    The only information I have is that the tumor is not palpable
    on the DRE so perhaps I understand that it must be T1C or T2A. I am considering the possibility of active surveillance
    but it is terrifying that something could escape us since the biopsy
    is a faithful reflection of reality but not necessarily reality.
    We are not 100% sure that everything is really Gleason 6. I rule out RT due to my age and better reserve it for the future if necessary. The surgery gives me real nightmares of having a horrible
    postoperative period and being left with consequences
    of incontinence and impotence at such a young age (52 years old).
  • Have you had a bone scan, MRI or a CT scan. These are usually performed to rule out spread to anywhere else in the body and will give the TNM score.

• The urologist and the urological American and European clinical guidelines do not recommend extension studies in low-risk tumors.

• Hi  , sorry you have joined the Club, but as others have explained you can be cured.  Better than not knowing and eventually getting a non-curative diagnosis.  It would help to know your TNM score, but from what you have said you have caught this early and you are young enough to sail through any treatment.  I presume you are on HT alteady, in which case their is no rush, make a list of the options you have been given and look at the pros & cons of each.  Ask any questions.  Good luck David

• For now I am not receiving any treatment. Radiotherapy and hormone therapy are ruled out in my case. I must decide between Active Surveillance or Robotic Surgery.
  • Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Community from me too - I am so sorry to find you here.

As the others have already said - waiting for a treatment plan is the worst part of the Prostate Cancer journey - once you are on that treatment plan then the worry and anxiety should reduce. 

To help you with your worries and anxiety may I make a few suggestions:

* Do you have a "Maggie's" near you? - this is a cancer drop in centre for all the family. To find your nearest "Maggie's" here's the link - www.maggiescentres.org

* Give our support line a call on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) - They are a great crowd and will be able to let you have some extra help and support.

* There's also Anxiety UK on 0344 477 5774 or www.anxietyuk.org.uk

I do hope that you will find some help from the above - if I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Is there any reason why radiotherapy without hormone therapy has been ruled out? The focused therapies have shown good results long term but with less possible side effects than surgery can cause.