Results Day

• 59 replies
  • 137 subscribers

So after calming my anxiety slightly we went to results day at the urology dept. yesterday.With your support and some reading I felt like I was prepared but as we walked into the room with the smiling friendly MacMillan Uro-Oncology CNS how wrong was I!

I will try and keep it brief and update the profile details today.

So in the morning they provided us with a staging/diagnosis of T3bN1M0 Gleason 9. (4+5) Bit of a shock as wasn’t expecting that and he’s had no symptoms.

I asked about the PETscan we had done privately (to move things along) and they hadn’t seen that despite the Team meeting on Tuesday. Little frustrating as I knew this would pinpoint any stray cancer cells and felt this was quite important given the emphasis the private consultant had put on this.

The MacMillan support nurse went off to make calls and get copies. I’d asked for copies of everything. Which they didn’t seem keen on but eventually all was good.

Then the CNS quickly scanned the report and said there was a query with some nodes nothing more specific.. This would later be confirmed by the private consultant as we’d booked a follow up with him that evening. So glad we did, thought possibly it was a waste of his time, as he understood the PETscan report so much better although rather bluntly he said he thought it was more likely to be T3bN1M1a and life expectancy 6-7 years which really hit my husband hard. As he’d even said in the waiting room perhaps it’s nothing. 

CNS started him on a 4 week course of bicalutamide immediately and he’s booked in for his first LHRH analogue injection on Friday next week at our doctor’s surgery. I can’t remember how long that lasts I thought it was every 3 weeks for 12 weeks but husband remembers it differently. There was so much to take in. I tried to take notes and we came out with lots of paperwork and information.

Then chemo which again shocked him as we’d been told previously before full diagnosis etc that it would likely be surgery, hormone therapy and radiotherapy. Not necessarily in that order.

We were told that he now needs an appointment with Oncology which they will do and the waiting time is 12 weeks, which seems an awfully long time. Anxiety kicking in as high grade and aggressive so queried using private cover again and by the time we got home last night the private consultant had already emailed his oncologist colleague.

So there we are. We were expecting cancer but not as advanced as this and I would appreciate any advice please. My husband is not ready yet he said to join support groups as he’s still processing this and I’m just trying to be supportive and glean as much information and life experiences from anyone who has been through this.

Thank you for getting this far. It’s a bit of a jumble and ramble but I’m also still trying to come to terms with the life changes that are about to occur.

• Thank you. To be honest, I only know that he is Gleason 9 (4+5) - I need to find out his TNM & initial PSA reading. I think in the blur of it al, we somehow have not made a written note of these key things. I will add his full background to my bio once I have found out.

I wondered if someone could tell me please - if HT or radiotherapy will kill the cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes?  I would really like to understand your experience with this? I read through your bio but this is all so new and I guess I just don't understand why they can't remove the lymph nodes. They told my dad it has only spread to a couple.

I think I am still in the denial phase and I can't or won't accept that there isn't a cure for prostate cancer that has spread. It seems so cruel. 

• Hi Perry 

Yes, HT and RT can potentially get rid of the cancer  in the nearby nodes but you wouldn't normally remove them because once in the nodes surgery to remove the prostate gland not normally carried out, more chance of success with HT and RT.

It looks like u don't have a TNM score , I presume that they have told u in the nearby nodes?

Regards 

Steve 

•    Once cancer has gotten out of the prostate, there is typically no more talk about removal (through surgery). 

HT and/or RT can treat cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes though I would not use the words "kill cancer".

Modern RadioTherapy is more powerful and will usually prevent cancer from coming back to the irridiated spot but that does not mean there are already small spots elsewhere since it can take 8 years before a metastatic lesion becomes visible on scans. 

That is why HT is used. Rather than attacking cancer is a single spot, it is a systemic approach to weakening the prostate cancer cells by cutting them off one of their fuels. In some lucky cases, the cancer will be weakened enough for the immune system to keep it under control while for others it will come back once HT is stopped, or it can even mutate into something that grows despite HT, which is when they start to call it "castration resistant". 

Things may seems bleak and that is a normal reaction. But many here and elsewhere have lived 20+ years with the disease so do not lose hope.

• Hi Steve,

Yes, all I know is that it's the nearby nodes only. We asked them how many nodes and they didn't really give a definite answer but there are at least a few.

Perry

• Thank you for the concise overview. I appreciate it.

• Thanks for your optimism and encouraging words. We all should be like you in choosing such words that enhance patients moral and trust and brighten their treatment journey road.

a very famous and repeated phrase I always heard is that regardless of number of prostate cancer patients, many of them die from other causes than cancer itself. They live with it but they usually don't die of it.

• Hi  

It's "98% of Prostate Cancer patients die WITH IT not OF IT".

Best wishes and thanks for reminding me - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello it is certainly a very scary place to be when you hear those words"not curable but treatable" my hubby was diagnosed in April 23 with a PSA if 59.9 and I thought the bottom had dropped out if my world. I pushed the oncologist for how long we had and although he wouldn't give a time he said it is treatable for many years so I took that has a positive.you might find it helpful to read our journey by clicking on my profile 

• Hi  .

There are occasions when the lymph nodes are removed as part of the surgery to remove the prostate. This is usually when the cancer is confined to the prostate but there might be some risk of it being near the edge of the capsule or if the patient has some high risk factors such as a high initial PSA or Gleason score. How many lymph nodes are removed depends on what the surgeon finds and the risks to the patient increase with the greater the number because of the time they are on the table, plus there are potentially more side effects. If there is lymph node involvement initially then a radical approach would probably be taken to remove all of the lymph nodes in the pelvis and even then there is a greater probability that you would have to have RT further down the line because the surgery cannot guarantee removing all the cancer cells which might seed to other parts of the body or the prostate bed. Think of the lymph system as a superhighway with many branches through which the cancer cells can spread - if cancer is found in one node then the surgeon would remove the whole branch. The more branches that are removed then there is a higher chance of a lymphocele or lymphodoema in the pelvis or legs. The radiotherapy works more systemically over a period of time along with the HT which disrupts the multiplication of the cancer cells and weakens them.

In my husband's case he had radiotherapy to the whole of the prostate area including the lymph nodes back in 2020 and so far there has been no sign of a recurrence in this area. At his initial diagnosis he also had spread to distant lymph nodes plus a met behind the pancreas. HT initially kept these under control but the cancer became resistant to the treatment so he was offered a very targeted form of radiotherapy to try and deal with them. We know this is probably only a temporary measure but it is giving us more quality time together.

Your dad's medical team will take into account all of the scans, biopsy, his health plus his preferences and come up with a plan or give options for treatment. Having lymph node involvement means that he will probably have a diagnosis of locally advanced prostate cancer and I have attached an information sheet for you on this which gives you an idea of treatment options. I have also attached an information sheet on how prostate cancer is graded.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/what-do-my-test-results-mean

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/locally-advanced-prostate-cancer