Surgery vs radiotherapy

• 88 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi, my numbers are T2c NO MO. Like many others, I am currently reviewing treatment options. I've seen the oncologist and will see the surgeon in a few days. Until seeing the oncologist, I had thought that surgery was the most likely route for me, partly because I had been told (by someone whose views I respect) that my relative youth and fitness (I'm 61) would probably make this the best option for me, because radiotherapy has more side effects in the very long term. The oncologist didnt challenge the view directly, but did say that so far as external beam radiotherapy is concerned, the view that younger people may eventually experience more significant side effects is a bit outdated. Has anyone else come across this debate? Any views?

• Hi Stewart1234

I found your first paragraph insensitive to some, and seemed to have missed the whole point of my reply.  I wasn't saying that sex was not important in marriage, 'and to all'.  I tried to nuance my response, and through anecdote, by indicating that you/we should consider longevity as possibly even more important. After all, sex is not possible if you are not around, and also not there to provide the myriad other elements of love and support etc, for your wife and family.

I am also a little surprised that you believe that sex is perhaps more important for a 35 year old woman!  An ageist comment!

All PCa treatment brings negatives into our lives, as well as our health status going forward.  We - including the medics, plus research and advances in treatment are constantly striving to minimise the negatives.  We are very fortunate if we escape unscathed.

I tried to indicate and by means of the anecdote that even with changes to the sexual performance side of the equation, it is not the end of sexual activity.  Humans are very resourceful.

There is a risk that if sexual function is the priority when considering treatment, it could influence the choice of treatment, which takes us back to the matter of longevity.  The person in the anecdote was aged 61.  They as a couple prioritised longevity and made a decision which obviously impacted their pre existing sex life.  Twelve years later he is still here, and they have a happy marriage.  In case you misunderstand I am not advocating this strategy.

HIFU could be an example of choice of teatment when sex is prioritised.  Some men opt for this mode of treatment over their concern to try and maintain their existing sex life.  IMO and following my research, I would not consider focal therapy as a long term survival strategy, but that is just my opinion.

We all have to balance the risks, benefits and disbenefits of the different modes of treatment.  We all have our different priorities.  

Dedalus

• Hi Brian 

Thankyou for your input 

• That is quite an amazing PC story, Wow..

Obviously everyone totally unprepared for the result including the Dr.in 2020..

He's done ok though considering 4 years ago

I going to ask one more question which may sound a bit stupid.

The mass that they found in the pancreas area, was it actually Prostate cancer or a different cancer.

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Hi Dedalus 

Thankyou for your input , lots of thinking to be done. 

• It was prostate cancer confirmed by a biopsy in 2023- tube down the throat, and into the pancreas which it was pushing against. This material is being compared to original 2020 prostate biopsy material to see if there has been any genetic changes. It was assumed to be prostate mets because it originally responded to ADT by shrinking it. 

• Thank you for all the answers and information

I wish him all the best

Regards

Steve

• Debate is great - but please everyone - remember we are all different!!

Please ladies and gentlemen - this is a peer to peer "SUPPORT" forum.

I have my personal opinions myself - but I have remained silent with them - I know it's a difficult subject - I appreciate we have our own views - can we stick to the basics please and try the "SUPPORT" bit.

Thanks everyone - I know it's hard and it's all very personal,

We all have that bond - "Prostate Cancer" - lets move forward as one.

Thanks all - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Steve. MRI booked for mid June to give us the first comparison to see if the SBRT is doing its job. Bloods next week.

• Hi

my apologies if I offended was not my intention, note my (brackets) comment 

I think your last paragraph sums it up 

please note I’m new to this (diagnosed 1 week)

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Community.

A cancer diagnosis is a hard thing to accept. it takes an age to sink in and emotions run high. We all have "been there - done that" and know just where you are at present.

Don't worry - we are all here for you - we have our priorities in life but at the end of the day - we all - all of us want you and the rest of us to be cured - we know it can't happen but we as a Community are here for everyone.

Emotions run high - I have Prostate Cancer myself and although I am a volunteer I do have my own opinions - but we are here for mutual support.

I know conversations can become heated and we all have a personal point of view, so no worries - let's keep it to mutual support.

Thanks for your latest post I fully understand where you are. - Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.