Surgery vs radiotherapy

• 88 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi, my numbers are T2c NO MO. Like many others, I am currently reviewing treatment options. I've seen the oncologist and will see the surgeon in a few days. Until seeing the oncologist, I had thought that surgery was the most likely route for me, partly because I had been told (by someone whose views I respect) that my relative youth and fitness (I'm 61) would probably make this the best option for me, because radiotherapy has more side effects in the very long term. The oncologist didnt challenge the view directly, but did say that so far as external beam radiotherapy is concerned, the view that younger people may eventually experience more significant side effects is a bit outdated. Has anyone else come across this debate? Any views?

• 3+3 means a tightly packed lesion within the prostate.  HIFU may be suitable (focal therapy) or mono therapy of low dose rate (LDR) or high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy.  Both options, as you have 3+3, would probably come without hormone therapy.  If it was me, I would be looking closely at LDR brachytherapy, as I had very little side effect from my operation.  See my  bio for more info.   AW

• Oh, and Dr Sholtz is also an advocate of LDR Brachytherapy.  Of course, this advice is only that - I’m not a consultant.  This needs to be discussed with your MDT and with your precise biopsy results to hand.  Remember- biopsy is King.     AW

• There are several things to take into account if you are considering AS as well as biopsy results such as lesion size, number, how close to the capsule edge, age, initial PSA and of course mental attitude in dealing with the knowledge that you have a cancer which will, with time, probably increase in time. It also takes discipline to make sure that you have regular PSA, DRE and MRI scans as some men become complacent after a while.

• Hi AW 

Thanks I’m going out to play golf shortlyJoy as my head is all over the place at the moment. 

• Another thing Dr Schotz said was Gleason 6 won’t spread and the terminology is wrong calling it cancer 

Thanks to others that have replied. 

• Thanks Alwayshope. 

As I’ve mentioned Dr Scholz seems to be saying Gleason 6 won’t  spread and shouldn’t jbe classified as cancer and advocates A/S as the best choice. 

So confusing. 

• Thank you for this and apologies for late reply, I will do more research. At this stage I am leaning towards RT without HT but have yet to see surgeons and oncologists

• Hi Fleet

I have heard this many times, Gleeson 6 not cancer

Well I had Gleeson 6, very low stats, but it did still grow over 4 years albeit slowly until treatment started.

Having said that there are a couple of people on here still on AS after 7 years, 

So no problem with AS just keep your eye on things

All the best

Steve

• Similar to you Grundo. Hubby was on AS for many years but it suddenly developed into T4 in a matter of months. Such cases are outliers to the stats but, I think, give evidence that things can progress.

• Hi

explicit is what I need so thank you. 
    I’m still in disbelief that I have this I’m 60, 6’4”, 95kg’s most people think I’m 50. My psa is a pretty low 3.6, this whole thing was discovered by accident. 
    from my small amount (so far) of reading up I think I’m heading for RT without HT. I was very interested in joe2005 experience at the Royal Marsden with Linac MRI. I also note he said the cure rate without HT was 94% and only went up slightly by adding HT to the mix and I’m wondering where he got those figures

Joe2005, if you happen to read this I’d be grateful for your input 

• Hi

thanks for this, yes of course there’s more to married life than sex, but maybe it is slightly more important to some than others (please no one take that as a slight) as mention my wife is 35 (I’m very lucky lol) and love her as I do I’m not sure I could see her in her prime give up her sex life, hence my concern on this department. 
    I note your point re future side effects. I’m also informed by my nurse (not seen surgeon or oncology yet) that their initial recommendation of surgery is based on my age and general fitness. Being that RT is in effect cancer giving and therefore a younger person might find RT gives them cancer later in life