Bowel Issues after Radiation

• 4 replies
  • 121 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

I am here to look for advice for my father.  He had radiation for prostate cancer January-March of 2020.  In April of this year, he began experiencing rectal bleeding and frequent bowel movements, urgency etc.  This has been very disruptive to his life.  He recently had a colonoscopy where they cauterized some of the areas to (hopefully) repair the bleeding, but then unfortunately, afterwards developed an infection - not even sure that's what it was since it occurred within hours of the colonoscopy- but they treated it as such with 2 antibiotics which then further aggravated his bowels.  He has had so many issues as of late and I'm here to seek advice on how to manage this frequency issue, as that seems to be the most troublesome for him.  We are hoping the bleeding has stopped, but with all of the aggravating factors from the colonoscopy complications, it's hard to know what way is up at this point.  He has been off the antibiotics for about a week, so hoping things settle down a bit.  

Any advice or encouragement would be helpful.  Thank you!

• It's difficult to advise where bleeding is concerned, as the detail can vary so much and the 'wrong thing' could make everything so much worse.

In some cases steroid enemas can be very helpful, and loperamide is often used to reduce frequency; both are worth discussing with the gastro-intestinal doctors who - I'm guessing - are now involved (they do the colonoscopies, usually).

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Thank you.  I appreciate the advice!

• 39 shots of radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer were completed last November. 

All seemed virtually side effect free. Until about 5 weeks ago.

Now urgency and frequency occasionally not making it to bathroom. Very dispiriting

Just started on a bladder muscle relaxant pill.

Bowel sometimes releases when urinating. Most unpleasant. Trots 3 days in four.

Been put back on Fybogel.

Any tips as to what else might help and how long this late appearing damage may lessen and/or heal?

Would greatly appreciate advice.

• Hello, 

This is what my dad continues to experience.  He has not found a solution yet.  Please advise if you find something that helps as he would appreciate such advice tremendously.  

Thank you and best of luck to you.