New and worried it might be PC

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi there

I'm new on this forum. I've had 4 episodes of really intense and sudden pain since last October which starts on my bra line and radiates to the front under the boobs. It is incredibly painful I almost pass out feel faint & feel nauseous. I was ambulance in twice. I have been seen by a great cardiologist & he has done all the tests & believes it's not coronary related however my white blood count went really high 25.2 on the most recent of those pain occasions... Neutrophils 21.5.. And liver test also irregular. On 2 of the  occasions my potassium levels were high but they believe that was the way the blood was taken as they are now normal. He thinks my next stop should be a rheumatologist but I'm worried it's pancreas/liver related... I've been feeling very tired for about 6 months... My question is what is the most precise test they can do to assess if its pancreas or liver cancer. The cardiologist said that if it was cancer it would not be my neutrophils that would be high... But he did say that we'll keep an eye on the liver result. In terms of other symptoms I am pretty good once the pain goes it is typically unbearably painful for about 15 minutes until a pain killer kicks in.

Has anyone had this type of very sudden back pain that is excruciating prior to diagnosis? I just don't feel good & notice that when I'm tired I seem to have 1 of these incidents.. They are very frightening and so far I've been with my hubby or daughter but last night I was alone & had 1 which was really worrying. Any advice appreciated. 

Tks Cleo x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read about the pain you keep experiencing. It sounds very frightening but you've done the right thing in contacting your GP.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

As you've asked about what tests are done to diagnose pancreatic or liver cancer, you can read about tests for pancreatic cancer and tests for live cancer by clicking on the links. Hopefully the cardiologist is right and you don't have cancer.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about the tests you've had to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Cleo ( 

A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community - although I am so sorry to find you here. I can't answer your question myself as I have another type of cancer, however by me replying to your post it should be "bumped" back to the top of the forum. There it should be seen by other members of the Community and I do hope you receive some answers to your question.

We do on the Community have a section where you can ask a Macmillan Nurse your question and I think your questions are suitable for this service so here's the link-

Ask a Nurse 

Please do allow a couple of days for a reply.

I do hope the above helps and that you get some answers to your questions - If I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.