In Pain - very long post sorry about that

• 3 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I have symptoms and have been on the road to diagnosis of something since end of Jan in which time symptoms have progressed.  I am in extreme off the scale pain now in left shoulder and down back and between shoulders.  Pain in back upper flank especially after eating.  Had a few bowl issues but now normal.  Pain started between shoulder blades sent to physio did not help.  Then started getting digestive issues including pain in left shoulder when eating.  During this period have had 2 pain free days but not for a while.  When I eat, I hear noises in my stomach then pain.  Now pain is constant and very high level I do not know how I am standing it going to work cannot concentrate.  I feel like I have a fluttering in my chest and feel very strange.  I have had really bad indigestion, some acid reflux.  I could always eat still can but now it is very painful but I keep going anyway.  Just eaten and pain in back upper flank is really bad.  All blood tests are in range including amylase, bilirubin and lipase.  Ultrasound last week shows nothing Consultant was looking for gallstone issues, lady who did ultrasound showed me pancreas said it was fine but I have since learnt that not all can be seen.  Gastroscopy yesterday all fine very small hernia only.  So now onto CT with contrast, consultant still does not think cancer should have a date tomorrow for when I have a scan maybe early next week.  Go back consultant 23/4 but not sure I can go that long with this pain its unbelievable.  I see no other explanation for this pain other than PC (or some cancer).  Sorry to go on I guess I really wanted to know if anyone experienced this bad shoulder pain (feels like nerve pain) even when I move as well and very sharp and between blades.  Also, I sweat when I eat and sometimes when I don't eat and at times itch all over.  Sometimes neuropathic pain in legs and had like period pains on occasions in upper inner thighs not experienced these for many years I am 63. 5lbs weight loss since middle of March but I fear it will continue.  Not tired just exhausted with pain.  I know I do not have a diagnosis just interested in any comments.  I am aware that people have been diagnosed with clear ultrasound and all bloods good.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

If you click here you can see what symptoms are usually associated with pancreatic cancer but you'll see that it also says that "Most people with these symptoms will not have pancreatic cancer. They may be caused by other more common conditions."

I'll be keeping everything crossed for a non-cancerous diagnosis for you.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Sue444

I am sorry to hear that you are having all these symptoms and are getting so much pain. It sounds really horrible for you.

It is good that they are doing these tests but I understand how hard it can be when you know something is wrong in your body but they have not yet worked out what the problem is. I hope that the CT scan will give some answers or at least rule some possibilities out so it is being narrowed down. 

You have so many different symptoms I would suggest it may be an idea to keep some sort of diary of when they happen and what was happening just before. By the time you see the consultant on 23/4 the info might show some sort of pattern that along with the other results may show what is going on. 

In the meantime with the amount of pain you are getting, I would be inclined to call your GP and talk about pain relief in the interim. It may be that they can also speed things along for you. When going through my own diagnosis I contacted my GP who was able to speak to the hospital consultant directly and I was seen the next day. 

I would also speak about whether they could sign you off work for a few days while the pain is being investigated- no one should be expected to carry on with work in these circumstances. With the fluttering in your chest, combined with feeling strange and having pain in your shoulder- in these circumstances I would be calling NHS111 to rule out anything cardiac. 

We are not medically trained on here but with these symptoms I would be calling to be on the safe side. 

If you wanted to get some advice from one of the Macmillan Nurses then please consider calling the Support Line as they may also be able to talk you through things.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• The pain you describe is usually associated with gall bladder issues/gall stones.