Terrified of chemo

• 1 reply
  • 42 subscribers

i have pancreatic cancer recently diagnosed, deemed operable so went in for a Whipples two weeks ago only to be aborted due to secondary tumour on liver which never showed up on v recent scans.  They did remove liver tumour and now recovering ahead of chemo.  Am rather terrified.  Meeting oncologist tomorrow.

• My 76 year old brother had the Whipple op. He was feeling good 3 months on of recovery and frightened of the chemo. On driving him and bringing him home, he coped very well. He had 4 sessions, one per month in his local hospital and was expecting severe reactions but his symptoms consisted of 3 days of complete tiredness, nothing else, and was back on his feet. Each person obviously does react differently. However covid arrived with blast and halted the treatment plan. He was pleased and didn't want to continue. It's probably the only chance to halt spread of any left over stray cells after his op. I feel it was worth his initial 4 months. His consultant was disappointed he had not continued with the chemo. Today they have many forms to combat reactions, anti sickness meds etc.

1. Decisions have to be personal ones. My bro just wanted to focus on his present,  his good days. He had no regrets at ending the Chemo. Spread took 21 months to cause him to get really poorly. Again it's all personal choices.