Partner diagnosed

• 29 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My partner has just been diagnosed with PC. He has been ill all year and has had blood tests that came back OK and bowl screenings that were OK. He was told it could be IBS but were sending him for a CT scan just as a precaution. The appointment was for the 12th November but he was being constantly sick which was green in colour. I contacted 111 and we went to a walk in centre at 0050hrs. They checked his belly and said we were to go to hospital for investigation. They did a CT scan and we were told there was a mass in his pancreas which was blocking his intestine, hence why he was able to keep food or drink down.

Within three days he has a bypass so that he could eat and drink. The cancer is inoperable due to being attached to major blood vessels. It has also spread to his peritoneal and omantal cake. He is on creon which he is struggling to get the right dose. He has had his operation over two weeks and all seemed to be settling but the last two evenings he has been sick which he describes as a fizzing sensation. We are not sure what is causing this. Is it too many panadol or too many creon? Or not enough creon?

His first oncology appointment is Wednesday where I pray they offer him treatment. I know it is stage 4 and inoperable but I want as long as we can have together 

• Hello   I have just read your post and am so sorry to read your partner's diagnosis. I am unable to give you any advice myself as I have a different type of cancer, however by me replying to your post it will "bump" it back to the top of the forum and I hope it will be seen by people on a similar journey who will have some answers for him.

I am aware of your partner's issues with the creon/panadol and if this has not resolved it's self by now I would advise you contact the prescribing G P to check the correct amount of each medication.

I wish you both well with your oncology appointment on Wednesday and like you even though you say his condition is inoperable I do hope the oncologist will be able to come up with a treatment plan.

I am aware you have his best interests at heart and you may find additional help by joining our Carers only forum  we also have another forum Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only which he could join.

You can also call our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) again there are some great people there who can offer you any further support you need.

I hope the above is of help - if I can do anything else for you please let me know - and my best wishes go with you both for his appointment on Wednesday.

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Luc77

I am sorry to hear of your partner's diagnosis. Just on Creon, this is not a medication but a enzyme. It does the work the pancreas can no longer do in helping to digest foods. I have been told that it is impossible to take too much Creon and that judging the correct amount is really about seeing what works best for the individual. I hope your appointment goes well on Wednesday.

Squeaky

• Thank you Sqeaky

• Update, oncology are going to treat with palliative chemo. If it goes well it could pro long his life for which I am extremely grateful Pray 

• Hello  

That's a little piece of good news for you and I am so pleased that he's going to receive some treatment. As well as the groups I advised you to join in my earlier post, you may find the Chemotherapy forum to be informative and worth joining. The more information you have the more you can help him.

I wish you both well with this course of treatment.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Christmas and New year was awful, my partner has been in and out of hospital and is currently still in. The cancer spread to his peritoneal has progressed rapidly and his stomach has stopped working so he now has an NG tube to drain his stomach and an NJ tube that feeds his small intestine. The only positive thing since these were fitted is that he has stopped being and feeling sick. He has an oncology appointment tomorrow for bloods to see if he can have his first chemo session on Wednesday. I pray that this is OK and goes ahead as there is nothing surgical that can be done for him. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Hello   I am so sorry to read your post about your partner - I know how awful a Christmas in hospital is from personal experience!!

I wish you well for the oncology appointment in the morning and hope all goes well and that your partner can start the much needed Chemotherapy.. Just a couple of things:

* We do have another Community where you will find some useful advice and tips and this is the Carers only forum . To join this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. you can then introduce yourself.

* If you need that little bit of extra support and advice, just give our help line a ring 0n 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) I am sure the good folk there will be able to offer some extra support.

Good luck for tomorrow - let me know how you get on and if I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Today we had the devasting news that my partner will not be given his chemotherapy due to his frailty.

I can't get my head around this as I know he is dying but they won't try. He is 56 years old.

We have an appointment on Monday with the oncologist to discuss what time left he has.

My heart is broken