Pancreatic Cancer

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi my name is Mary, my husband Alan has pancreatic cancer. He has a 58mm mass in the tail, consultant has discussed options but wanted more tests so he apparently has not been officially diagnosed?. Its been going on since 14th Oct, He has had a virtual colonoscopy, stones removed from the common bile duct and biopsies but we are still waiting to agree a plan, They seem to be hanging about and I think it is because he is 80 (although he is a very fit) Has anyone else had any problems age related?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your husband has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and it's natural to worry that it's taking a long time for a plan to be decided on.

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to see.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your husband having pancreatic cancer. I too was also diagnosed in August with it. I have just started chemotherapy to try and shrink before being considered vfor surgery. All we can do is pray and be positive. I hope you get your plan in place soon. Stay strong and through the darkness try and smile. We must beat this together. 

• Trying to stay positive x Praying for all of you too x

• Hello Mary

I am sorry to hear your news. I don't think  perceived slowness is age related. Unfortunately, diagnosis of pancreatic cancer seems to take a long time. I hope you hear more soon.

Squeaky

• HI everyone - it has been an absolute nightmare over the last few weeks. We did not hear anything after the biopsies but I did see the report on my husbands GP site and it says further tests need to be done to rule out cancer. I rang the upper GI nurse at our local hospital and she said it was not cancer (you can imagine how we felt, I was so elated but then I remembered the report and I asked her "if it is not cancer what is the mass that has grown from 5.5 to 5.8 in a few weeks"? She then said "well yes we do think it is still cancer but very often biopsies come back negative when they are really positive" So I asked her what was going to happen now as my husband had made his mind up that he would like the option of the operation (the consultant told us 4 options, 1-do nothing, 2-palliative chemo. 3-Operation to remove mass from tail of pancreas, 4- operation and maybe some chemo). she told me we would have to wait to see the consultant and it would be up to him what happened next as we have not actually been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. (hence no real support) I am not sure why our doctor told us it was or why our consultant told us it was and gave us options and a plan!!! Our appt is 19th December. I have lost it and had to go to a&e my blood pressure was 98/93 and I just felt so ill. It is now down to 179/91 and I have been put on fluoxetine and diazepam I am a wreck. My husband bless him is a very laid back person and although he is 80 , he is a young 80. He is eating well and actually putting on a little weight (i have been building him up and he has CREON enzymes with his food) we are still keeping busy and mobile but our life has just been on hold. I cannot believe they have left it all so long, we have no trust anymore in the NHS........