New to the group

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, my husband has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He’s had one chemo session of Folfox and having them every fortnight. He has no appetite and trying to get him to eat is very hard. Because he’s not eating he has no energy. He has two Ensure drinks during the day. Any ideas to get him to eat would be appreciated.

• Hi Puggles

i was in the same situation as hubby after my first session on the 25th August. It knocked me for six, I felt nauseous for 6 days and diarrhoea kicked in on the 3rd day.

I was eating mouse size portions and lost 5 kilograms. I am on 2 weekly cycles but since I still had diarrhoea the day before the next round, I got them to pause it. Also I had 2 funerals to go to, my father in law and mother.

For hubby, best to feed him what he feels like. I wanted to eat the food but my stomach shrunk. I have a muller rice for breakfast (warmed cos of the Folfox), hard cheese and biscuits, soft tinned fruit (peaches) and what I can eat for diner, usually involves creamy mashed potatoes and peas.

Make sure he drinks enough or he will feel dehydrated and that can make you feel nauseous on its own.

The hospital should have an emergency number for advice and you need to ring it. I did and they told me to to stop taking Metoclopramide because it gives diarrhoea as a side effect. They recommended ondansitron as it’s side effect is constipation to stop diarrhoea.

After 6 days and using Loperamide to stop the diarrhoea, just by eating more when chemo wore off, my appetite came back. I put on more weight during the pause and went to 2 funerals, one in London and one in East Sussex.

it seems hard but hubby will get better. First ring the emergency number for advice and then at the consultation tell them how he reacted. They will probably lower the dose for the next cycle. He can only have the next cycle if he is eating enough. I saw the dietitian and she gave me creons and special milkshakes.

I am being treated from St Richard’s in Chichester and receiving chemo at Queen Alexandra, Portsmouth and they are marvellous. I know this because I have had chemo before for testicular cancer at Southampton General in 2011. 

Hubby should not be feeling so bad in the first round but feeling sick and diarrhoea is normal, the steroids, anti sickness pills and chemo all contribute to diarrhoea.

I hope this all helps, I have started my self round today, so there is hope.

• Hi RichieRooRoo

Thank you for replying. It is very hard. Fortunately he hasn’t felt sick or had any diarrhoea. He just has no energy mainly because he’s not eating and his mind is very muddled because of the morphine he’s having for the pain. Hoping he will get his appetite back after a couple more sessions. He is taking creons and energy drinks and breakfast seems to be the best time to eat for him. Good luck for you chemo.