Silly question on biopsy

• 11 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, i had a biopsy on my liver (also have tumours on my pancreas and lung), but told that the results will take two weeks. Does this sound right? Seems a very long time with no treatment possible until we know what the cancer is.

i am probably being overly anxious as i just want to know whats happening (also don’t want to know what’s happening, if you know want i mean). I am also worried that we are nearly a month since the first sign of issues and know how important voting this early can be.

Thanks for any views

• Hello GlynW

I am sorry to hear that you have pancreatic cancer. I hope you do not mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer to you however I also experienced the wait for biopsy results. 

From my own experience and through supporting others on here it seems that 2 weeks would be a normal amount of time. The results may come a bit sooner or take a little longer but it all seems to depend on the hospital and how busy the pathology lab is. For my biopsy I waited around a week and a half but for my post op histology it was around 3 1/2 weeks (however this included the long Easter weekend)

During the time that I was waiting for the results to come through the consultants were already considering my case and treatments so the pathology in a way was just fine tuning it and confirming what was already thought. I know it seems a long time while you are waiting and I understand that you just want the answers and to get on with the treatment. I was the same. In reality though when I look back it was only 4 weeks from my first symptom to the first treatment and they need those results to confirm the best way ahead. 

I am sure they will be in touch with you soon and will want to discuss the next steps. I wish you well, whatever those next steps are. 

In the meantime, while you are waiting please do not hesitate to ask if you need anything else.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you  for taking the time to reply Jane! That sounds ok then - guess there’s not much to do but wait a bit. 

• Hi Glyn, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have a different diagnosis. I just wanted to say no question is a silly question especially if it puts your mind at rest. 2 weeks does sound normal but my advice to you is never be afraid to chase and ask questions. I'm sure my oncologists medical secretary was completely fed up of me because I was always on the ball and chasing results and treatment. I was always polite but persistent and on numerous occasions it paid off. Hoping you get your treatment stated soon. 

Best wishes

Crystal

• Waiting is tough. I did contact my consultant's secretary a few times while waiting. Maybe give them a call if you don't hear soon.

• Thanks Crystal!i will keep on at them - it’s my life after all!

• Thanks Jane, yes, i think i will have to. Apart from anything else i don’t want to wait for the results and then wait another week of two for an appointment.  

• Hi GlynW

I actually emailed my oncology secretary today about an appointment that I have been waiting for. She emailed back within 10 minutes with a provisional date. So it's definitely worth a go

• Thanks Jane - will get on it!

• And an appointment letter confirming it came through this am- so worth doing

• Jane - you were so right!

Apparently the results came in yesterday (3 working days!). I am just arranging a call with the Consultant Liver guy before he goes on holiday next week!

With luck we can get the MDT together soon and decide if any treatment can be given.

Thanks again!