Newly diagnosed

• 28 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Good Morning all.  An awful week, been yellow for 2 weeks, my GP told me to drink more fluids.  However this week I was worse and rang 111, who quickly got me into hospital.  After many tests I was given the shocking news I have pancreatic cancer which has spread to the liver.  I’m waiting for a biopsy appointment now to find the outlook.

just looking for support and advice from others with pancreatic cancer.  I haven’t cried, I’m shocked obviously but seem to be carrying on as normal while my husband and family are losing it and telling me they’re behind me.  All showing their love and tears is wonderful, but I think they’re surprised at my lack of ‘tears and howling’.  I know it will come one day, probably when I get more details about my cancer and how far it’s spread.  

Any advice on how to support my family and their grief please as I’m trying to be strong so I can fight this disease.

Thank you for listening. 

Nessa

• I'm sorry to hear your dreadful news. I was alongside my brother when he was diagnosed. He had next to zero symptoms too. All from a warfarin blood test he was diagnosed.

He too turned yellow. He had the opportunity of a whipple op - and at 74 1/2 from Sept to mid Oct spent recovering in hospital. He had no regrets on the op.  His symptoms were very few. He ate reasonably well eating loads of Creon at every meal. He enjoyed rest of 21 months of his days  dancing weekly, holidaying, without many uncomfortable symptoms.he had the odd back aches and only took paracetamol.

He was determined to get on with living not thinking on the whats ahead. It did eventually spread to his Iiver. He was offered palliative chemo, but at 75 going on 76 declined this. He felt well inspite of news of the spread,  and wanted to keep going at his 'own pace'  He just became very tired.but not in pain.  I know from reading every one is very different and the disease acts diff with each person. 

I hope you get lots of support with any questions you have..

1. As his next of kin it was absolutey scarey, but due only to his determination and the positive attitude he kept up,  it helped me greatly as his Carer to do all I could to support him..we didn't make this disease the main priority of our relationship. 
  • Thank you Skippy and glad your brother didn't suffer too much. My cancer has already spread to my liver and they've said no surgery. I know my outlook is not good and at just 72 with a loving family, I'm trying to stay positive when everyone is falling to pieces. I'm having a liver biopsy to see if chemo will help & take it from there. When you have kept fit, eaten healthy, never smoked and don't drink you do wonder why.  Anyway thank you for replying and best wishes.  V

• Hi there. This is my first post too. I've just found out my husband, aged 66, has pancreatic cancer, which has spread to his liver. He is in a lot of pain & is not eating or drinking much. Waiting to see a consultant next week. I am like your husband & family. I cannot stop crying whereas my husband seems quite calm, at least on the surface. He refuses to tell the rest of the family until he has had a definite timescale. Feel like I'm living a nightmare.  Just need a bit of support & lots of hugs.

• Hi All,

We have been fighting the ‘beast’ as I call it for 2 years and 4 months.My husband (60) was diagnosed by chance, no thanks to the GP.Hubby has lower abdominal pain but a MRI revealed a very large, TG, localised tumour on the pancreas.Chemo, radio, whipple, chemo and we thought that we were maybe winning the battle.Unfortunately quarterly checks revealed that its back and has spread to the liver.We have just started a new course of chemo.It’s a roller coaster regarding emotions.What is really important is that the medics need to be really honest with the prognosis.Family will be bewildered, angry, confused.Our son, who is in the military bottled everything up...that wasn’t brilliant.Live everyday as a family one day at a time.Don’t give up hope. Make sure all affairs are in order...try to have the conversations that time may not afford you in the future.Also, see whether you can get some counselling.Sending virtual hugs to all of you.

• Hello Holly, I’m so sorry to hear about your hubby.  Yes the pain and discomfort are awful but I’ve been told I ‘have’ to eat and drink and to put some weight back on in case I need chemo.  My family are all terrified but I feel that I have to stay strong for them.  Next stop for me is a liver biopsy which should give me more information,and prognosis.  Good luck to you and your hubby and hope he gets a good prognosis.  V

• Hello Anjohannes, thank you for replying.  I don’t think this awful beast ever goes away, just gets stopped in it’s tracks for a while.  They’ve told me there’s no chance of surgery so I’m expecting the worst.  Hopefully I can get my affairs in order, get rid of clothes I’ll never wear, talk to my sons and grandchildren, and face whatever I have to face.  Good luck to you and your hubby  V 

• Hi Holly, so sorry to hear about your hubby, terrible news no one wants to hear. My hubby it’s in his pancreas but not spread yet, he’s had twelve chemo sessions so far, so all I can advise is go with treatment, keep positive each day, we never let it beat us, we either live whatever time we have in doom and gloom or make a few happy memories together. It is a nightmare, just stay strong. Lots of love xx

• Hi Mrs. C , Suepertrooper & Annjohannes & everyone who is going through this nightmare. Sending strength & love to everyone. I’m sure this will not be my last post. My husband was given indigestion tablets in March but then had an X-ray which suggestes pain was from a cracked vertebrae. Blood test showed paraproteins so went via BUPA to see a haematologist. They said not cancer but MGUS  butarranged an MRI scan just in case, which took 3 weeks and revealed a bulky pancreas. A CT scan was recommended & actually this was done quickly on the NHS. Received phone call the next day with the terrible news. Cancer in pancreas & liver. Appointment with consultant next week & we will take it from there. I know what’s coming & will have to find the strength from somewhere. My poor husband does not deserve this but then neither does anyone. Much love & hugs to everyone

• He too - was non drinker, non smoker and we didn't understand how such a diagnosis happened.  His only medication for many years was Warfarin,  for a history of blood clots on legs when playing football..

The first diagnosis - in our family history.

I've read that chemo does give more time. Halting spreads to lymp nodes. 

After his original whipple op he did begin 3 x bouts of the cembetacine ?(not spelled right) and covid "lock downs" arrived- halting any further chemo appointments.

He really had no awful reaction to this chemo,, just felt tired for 48 hrs afterwards, and felt washed out. No nausea, no discomforts, so it was the gentle of chemo I understand.

He didn't wish to take up with 'chemo' on news of 'his spread' to lymph nodes and lungs, because he was feeling so very well. 

Go with your personal choice and the advice of your medical team. His children wanted him to take up the Chemo.

He and felt he had a valued right now reasonably fitness  time) in the present, so he decided on no chemo. 

• I,m so sorry to read this but we are all here for similar reasons and I,m sure you will get the best support from my brief experience on here. My experience of it all is that family and friends especially your closest do most of the crying for you! We are the ones who face the realities and seem to cope on the surface . Good luck on your journey and as youve already come here it shows you are being proactive best wishes S.