Mum diagnosed feeling helpless

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all, my mum age 66 was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer on 14th Feb this year, she has been doing weekly chemo sessions had 6 with a break of 2 weeks after 3, she is currently on her second break but she is not good. The problem is she lives in Spain, I am in the UK. While her care is excellent, there is a language barrier and I worry vital information is being missed. (I really hope not) for the last few days she has spent most of the day and night in bed, big amounts of pain mostly back pain, and hardly wanting to eat. I have been out to visit in April and she was good while I was there. I just feel so helpless and guilty that I am far away. I'm not sure what to achieve from this post, but I'm struggling to see any positives at the moment. 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to hear your worry and frustration regarding your mum's health. Not knowing the Spanish healthcare system it is difficult to advise. Is you mum visited by district nurses, is it possible to get a GP out to see her re pain relief or whether she needs admitting to hospital? Has she got a CNS you could contact? I would recommend phoning the Macmillan helpline for advice, this is the link to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/contact-us

I hope the situation improves for you. Best regards.

A x