New here and need advice to navigate this situation?!

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with PC stage 3 in Nov 22. Inoperable due to blood vessels involved. A very long wait for a biopsy to be done and found to be a rare type of cancer for the pancreas, needing a cocktail of chemo that consultant said would potentially only give her an extra 3 months. Latest scan 2 weeks ago showed it had  grown and spread to her liver. 
Mum has declined chemo as she wants to enjoy some of the time she has left and not be too sick from side effects of something that isn’t even going to give her much more time. 
I just don’t know how to act sometimes. I know this could be her last Mothers Day coming up. So do we act normal like it isn’t.  Or do we acknowledge yes this is the last one let’s make it amazing. Do I make a point of taking lots of photos all the time. It’s so hard admitting and coming to terms with the fact there are going to be last times we see and do things now. 

• Hi Pink, my heart goes out to you your mum and your family, the generic answer to your question is you have to do what feels right for you and your mum there is no right or wrong answer but I’ll share how we are dealing with it. My beloved hubby was diagnosed on 2nd December 2022 and saw the oncologist on 20 December who told him ne had advanced pancreatic cancer that and spread to his liver, one lung and an adrenal gland. Without treatment he had “just a few months, less than 6”.  We were determined to enjoy my brothers 60th birthday party , my birthday and  Christmas despite knowing these might be the last family get togethers and our last Christmas together. Our mantra was making memories and we continue to try and make as many memories as we can and I take as many photos as I can. Sometimes hubby gets fed up with how many photos I want - but then I explain and he understands that there will come a time when they are all I will have. I cannot bear to think of a future without my soul mate so for now I enjoy every single day we have together and am happy in the moment - i park any sad feelings for the future. So Pink, I would highly recommend making the most of special days for what they are at the time, try and avoid being sad there might not be another but do take loads of photos…..I think everyone should do that anyway. Sending love and hugs xxx

• Thank you so much for your reply. This is so hard! Today we’ve had long chats and I’m grateful for this time we have to do that. It’s emotional and difficult at times but I am grateful for every houTwo heartstogether. Sending you love and strength too. Two hearts