Help with diet please

• 17 replies
  • 47 subscribers

hello 

my husband was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer which has spread to his liver in June after 12 months of being fobbed off by our GP. He has undergone chemotherapy which he didn’t tolerate very well. He had to have it made milder which also made him extremely ill. he had a stent put into his bile duct to remove a blockage. We then tried a different type of chemotherapy which he took in tablet form at home, unfortunately that hadn’t worked either and latest scan showed the cancer is still growing. All we have now is pain relief. The main problem is trying to get him to eat. He has lost so much weight and is becoming very weak. If anyone has any ideas I’d be very grateful.

• Hi Knittynanny, 

So sorry to hear about your partner diagnoses. 

How are you doing? Are you getting the support you need? 

what have you been trying to get him to eat and what has the palliative team said to you regarding his eating? I would imagine small grazing bits and maybe sugary things for the energy aspect. 
    Does he have any appetite at all? My husband also has PC and was diagnosed in September. He has lost 23kgs since then which is a lot. I try to cook foods that he enjoyed like quiche( cut it into small peices)so he can digest abit better.is your husband on Creon and if so is it helping? 

Hugs

chrissie  

• Hi Knittynanny

Very sorry to hear of your husband.  Have you tried Complan from most chemists, they are meals and milkshakes in sackets full of vitimins and minerals, easy to eat/drink he will be getting all the goodness in him but still take Creon with these for digestion.  Also there is powdered glucose you can mix in orange juice or other flavoured drink you can't taste it to give him energy.  At least give these a try he needs to build himself up.

Many hugs x

• Thank you for your reply. I don’t know about you but I think I’m losing the plot. Trying to stay positive but 2 days are never the same. Most days if he can manage a bowl of cereal and a fortisips I think I’m on a winner. Even taking his pain meds can make him feel awful.  We are not back to the hospital until the 24th so think I’ll have to give them a call

he is taking creon. I just leave biscuits and nuts lying around thinking he’ll give them a go.

Thank you

celia

• Thank you for taking the time to help. We have tried the complan, but it made him feel sick. He is taking creon.  I will look out for the powdered glucose and give that a go.

thank you for the suggestion fingers crossed 

celia

• Yes I feel lm llosing the plot most days, it’s like we take two steps forward then 3 steps back. I also leave nuts and crisps in all rooms incase he fancy’s a nibble.My husband is not able to have the fortasips or Vitial as it’s gives him an upset stomach which is counter productive to what we are trying to achieve( weight gain).Maybe give your CNS or the dietician a call. 
    If you do get any extra tips I would appreciate it if you could let me know too.

take care

Chrissie 

• I will definitely let you know if we have anything helping to share. To be honest I don’t have a lot of faith in the hospital. My husband seems to eat better earlier in the day but that could be the case one day but completely different the next. It’s a horrible cruel disease.

wishing you all the best

celia

• I  just thought I would share my experience. Problems with eating are very common in PC and something that is attractive to eat one day isn't the next so as is suggested just try to tempt with smacks and so on.

I really stressed about my husband not eating and he stressed too. It didn't do us any good. So just keep on but don't overdo trying to get people to eat.

• Thank you for your in put, I’m soo grateful for people taking the time to help us. I really do try not to worry him too much about his appetite, when it looks like he’s wasting away it’s really hard. Funny thing is he’s just tucking into an egg custard tart!!

We just take one day at a time.

Thank you

• I just realised I wrote smacks rather than snacks! Appetite is such a worry but then we get ourselves upset about it all. PC is, indeed, a cruel disease.

• That’s so funny snacks or smacks! Whatever works