Confused

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, just want to post my first thread.

My mum 85 had a fall two weeks ago and was taken to the hospital.She had a scan and discovered she has Pancreatic Cancer, this was verified by the panel last week.

Due to her age, they are not going to do anything invasive like a biopsy or any form of Chemo. Its a case of just making her comfortable and let nature take it's course.

Obviously it's very distressing news for myself and my brother, but we will have to deal with it over the coming weeks. Her life expectancy is going to be short but we are not sure how the system works now. 

The hospital want to discharge her, obviously with a care pack in place. But having spoke to a couple of friends who have dealt PC they say it might be difficult to find a place in a care home given my mum's needs. She already has the loss of appetite and is not really drinking much.

We just want to know the best way to approach finding her a placement, not really sure how a hospice works either, whether she might be better going there.. It's all totally alien to us as we have never had any family member to suffer from cancer.

Any support would be gratefully received..

• Hello Lily

I am sorry to hear this. Care homes and hospices operate in different ways throughout the country so the best place to get advice will be your GP and the hospital. They should be able to find the best care for your mother.

Squeaky