Confusion around the future

• 4 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm not really sure what I'm expecting from reaching out today but I'm hoping it might, at least, do me some good to get my thoughts down in writing. My husband, Andrew, was diagnosed with Stage 4 PC in January. After some initial issues whereby he was told it was operable but they very quickly changed their minds, he embarked on Chemo. It went well to start with but things began to unravel in the summer with constant changes in his schedules, cancellations etc, etc. On more than on occasion we received two letters in one day changing his appointments. Andrew began to have anxiety attacks.For various reasons he went for several weeks without treatment eventually developing jaundice due to a blocked bile duct. We had to fight every step of the way to get him treated resulting in three and a half weeks of hell in hospital. I truly believed I was going to lose him.

He is now home and, thanks to a short course of steroids, has regained some weight and strength. The problem is this - On the 16th September we saw an Oncologiy Registrar and were told he definitely couldn't have any more Chemo. My husband asked the "big question" and we were told 1 - 3 months. We went home and told family and friends. We spent a while getting our heads round it and began getting things in order mentally, emotionally and practically. A further CT Scan had been arranged to see if there was anything that could be done to make things more comfortable.

On 7th October we returned for the scan results. The Oncologist didn't have the results(!) He talked about Andrew's health in general terms then asked him if he'd like to have more Chemo!!!!!! We were completely blindsided. I asked how he could be offering that after our previous conversation with his colleague and was told Chemo was only out of the question all the time Andrew was jaundiced. I pointed out that was absolutely not what we were told and that it was confusing and distressing to be told different things by different people but the Oncologist didn't seem to understand our shock or feelings. After some further discussion it became clear that more Chemo with a different drug, with the potential for worse side effects, might give Andrew a couple of extra months. I could see he was becoming very agitated so suggested we go away to think things through. Almost as an afterthought we were told to get blood tests done in case he still wasn't well enough for further Chemo!!! We came away from that appointment unable even to speak. 

After a few days Andrew had pretty much decided not to have any more treatment. The problem is, we feel lost and confused. We don't know what to do. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? How did you or your loved one cope or move forward? Did you move forward or did you "freeze" as we seem to have done? Any help, advice or just thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long, rambling post.

• Hello, 

my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Sep 2020 after becoming jaundiced. He was lucky enough to have the Whipple procedure which they told us got rid of everything and that he would then have 6 months of ‘mop up chemo’ just to get rid of any tiny bits that may have escaped. After the 6 months of chemo he was told that unfortunately, the cancer had spread and that the only option then would be palliative chemo. He continued on this for a while until around 6 months later when he was told that they were going to withdraw the treatment, as it had not worked. That was in Jan 22 and he sadly passed away in April. He actually passed away from a pulmonary embolism caused by the cancer, rather than the actual cancer in the end, if that makes sense. 
    He had just been accepted to take part in a clinical trial which he was so desperate to do. It was miles away from where we live, but he managed to have the first few doses, travelled home and passed away the next day.

I was just wondering if any clinical trials had been mentioned to your husband? I feel that it was something to strive for for my Dad (and us), so I always hope that people in the same situation have at least had the same opportunity.

x

• Hello

I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time.

As Hugs 12 says you could enquire if there are any clinical trials available just now.

Like Hugs' Dad my husband had a Whipple and then chemo to 'wipe things up'. After about six weeks of the first chemo a 'shadow' appeared and he was transferred to a different one which seemed to work but soon the tumour grew and spread so he was told that there was nothing else which could be done.

We tried to carry on and, of course like you, felt lost and confused. Sadly for us, things happened very quickly then. My advice such as it is, is to try to take one day at a time and find something which gives you joy each day. It might be a short walk or listening to music together. That's what we did.

Squeaky

• Hi Hugs, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. It must still be very raw for you so I appreciate that you've replied.no-one's mentioned any clinical trials and I'm not sure that Andrew would want to do that anyway. The last trial he took part in following testicular cancer resulted in a stomach problem. This is actually his fourth cancer but the first he's been ill with. The others were found "accidentally" and early. Because of this, one of the other problems we have is not knowing what's connected to the cancer and what's just age-related wear and tear. We've decided today to investigate a service at our nearby Hospice. It's a drop-in hub where you can get advice and support. I'm hoping it will help us both. I will ask him about trials and, if he's open to the idea, see if I can look into it.

Thank you again and stay strong xx

• Hi Squeaky, I'm sorry to hear your story and thank you for your advice. We have some things planned - visiting relatives etc. but as he tires easily we find we're a bit restricted. The cooler weather isn't helping as it's making him more reluctant to go out but I'll keep trying to encourage him.

Take care x