Diagnosis

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I have just found out today my dad age 66 has pancreatic cancer, there are no surgical options as it has spread to his lympth nodes in his chest. The doctors are still trying to get his pain under control, he is home, he lives alone but I'm only 10 minutes away, I see him every day & I will be responsible for his care. 

I am devasted, but really hoping they will try chemo to give him more time. 

Xx

• My husband had his diagnosis in July and he was Stage 4 pancreatic cancer with secondary cancer in lungs, outside wall of stomach and possibly lower spine. I like you was and still is devastated. Such a shock. My husband decided not to go through treatment as with treatment was told up to a year, or without was going to be months. He chose the latter so we could do as much as possible whilst he could enjoy spending time in as good health as possible. Starting to suffer with more pain but we have done so much with family and friends and packed holidays with both family and friends in the time so far. Unfortunately I have covid this week so dashed our Christmas Day plans but there’s always zoom. If boris doesn’t shut everything down again. We plan to renew wedding vows. Nothing fancy, just intimate. You’ll decide between you what’s best for your family and once you have had all the information, which is best for your Dad. My husband chose quality not quantity. But whatever the prognosis, it’s devastating for you all. Fingers crossed there’s more hope for your dad. Sending my thoughts to you x

• Hello Van Life, I am sorry to hear this. I hope the doctors can get the pain under control. They usually can. Believe it or not, there will be good days in all this. Just take it one day at a time.

Squeaky

• Hi Jachill. Vile isn't it? My husband is having his biopsy 31 December and then we'll get the prognosis in January. It's inoperable and has spread but we don't know the details yet. Not much pain as yet and Creon has put a stop to his weight loss thank goodness. Finding it hard to just take one day at a time. 

• Thank you Jachill. I am sorry to hear about your husband & that's is such a hard but brave decision to make with regards to treatment, I have no idea what my dad will decide if even given the option. 

I have been researching CBD oil, it's such a minefield. I am finding it difficult that he is on so much morphine he just wants to sleep.

Sending my love to you all xx

• Hi JaneB, the waiting is horrendous, my dad has been poorly since 5th November with no real diagnosis until Christmas eve but that was over the phone with a nurse, still waiting for an appointment with a consultant to see where we can go next. 

It's really good news the Creon is working for your husband & he is no longer losing weight, my dad is barely eating as he gets so much pain after. 

I guess all we can all do is try to stay positive & enjoy every precious moment.

Sending love to you all xx