Advice on possible treatment to allow my mum to start eating and drinking fluids

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My Mum is currently not able to eat any food (solid or liquids) and struggles to even drink water as she continually feels full up and can something feel that she is being suffocated due to the fluid sitting so far up. We have had CT scans and different tests, but it has found no reason why this is happening. Has anyone else had experience of this and more importantly had the problem identified and treated? Any help or advise would be really appreciated as it is really effecting her and she has no quality of life and it is leading to other complications. Thanks 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

It must be very distressing for both you and your mum that she isn't able to eat any food and no reason for this has been found. 

I hope you don't mind me asking but has she been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or is it the fact that she can't eat and is struggling to drink that makes you think she has this type of cancer? I had a peek in your profile but you haven't competed it yet.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi! Yes she has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in April, and the problems with eating have begun getting a lot worse over the last few weeks. 

• Sorry to hear that

Eating problems can be common when cancer's involved and you might like to check out this information from Macmillan on eating problems.

You could also give the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000 and talk this through with one of the nurses. It's free to call and they're available daily from 8am to 8pm.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, I will x

• Hello   has your mum been offered Creon. If not ask your Dr for it now. 

CREON replaces enzymes that your pancreas isn’t producing, helping you digest fats, proteins, and carbohydrates (sugars) in food. I really does make a massive difference,  there is Curr a campaign going throughout the UK to try and highlight the importance of Creon as it really does help. 

Hope this helps

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Holdon

Hi! Thank you so much for your advice, we have been pushing for her to try them and yesterday they were mentioned as an option so very happy. I just hope that they will help. 

Thanks again.